Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Wakefield Ride for a new triathlete?
CREATED: 07/12/10 by zenetanar REPLIES: 3
zenetanar's ravatar zenetanar    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 35
Wakefield Ride for a new triathlete?
POSTED: 7/12/10 12:42 PM

I am brand new to cycling and triathlon in general -- I started cycling for the first time in my life in April, and I did the DC Tri as my first tri. I am trying to find a non-intimidating week night group ride. What is the Wakefield ride like -- and where exactly does it meet? Is it too advanced for a slowpoke like me? I couldn't find much information from the website regarding pacing etc.

Thanks!

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
RE: Wakefield Ride for a new triathlete?
POSTED: 7/12/10 1:35 PM

Not sure about that ride but in general the Potomac Pedalers have a lot of rides catered to slower riders I hear. I recently went to a 15 mile ride (i think its usually 12-15 miles) that convenes in Tenley town at 630pm on thursday nights right at the top of van ness st in the circle-- its a small group but not fast and a friend of mine goes regularly so I went with her. The leader gives out a cue sheet each week and its a really friendly group of leisurely cyclists.

zenetanar's ravatar zenetanar    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/12/10 1:38 PM

Thanks for the tip. I live in Vienna and have a child so I'm looking to not spend a lot of time in traffic, so if anyone knows of something in Northern VA I'd love to hear about it. I might try out Contes this Tuesday.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/12/10 3:18 PM

it may have changed, so someone else chime in, but the wakefield ride when i went was a lot of hardcore pure cyclists in it.

meaning they warm up for 15 minutes at around 16-17 mph then they go fast the rest of the 45-50 mintues after and if you can hang with them you do and if you can't it naturally breaks up into groups that ride amongst themselves, main point being you really have to be comfortable riding in a paceline and around close quarters in a peloton with others, knowning how to corner fast helps a lot.

its a great ride but if you are new i would put it off for a few weeks and practice riding with others in pacelines and pelotons first, but that is only my opinion.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria