Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

info on WSC columbia heights pool?
CREATED: 03/10/14 by tpulham REPLIES: 7
tpulham's ravatar tpulham    JOINED: 8/10/12    POSTS: 36
info on WSC columbia heights pool?
POSTED: 3/10/14 2:58 PM

Has anybody heard anything about what's going on at the WSC Columbia Heights pool? It has been closed for several days and the person at the front desk said it looks like it will be closed all of this week too. She said that it was directed by the corporate office, but won't say why. Does anybody know anything?

oliviawoods's ravatar oliviawoods    JOINED: 1/11/14    POSTS: 7
RE: info on WSC columbia heights pool?
POSTED: 3/15/14 3:06 PM

According to some of the comments here : http://www.popville.com/2014/03/dear-popville-whats-going-on-with-the-washington-sports-club-pool-in-columbia-heights/ it sounds like an issue with the filtration system. I went in today, and the person at the front desk told me that they hoped to open it back up on Monday. I hope that's true, because this is throwing a wrench into my swim training, especially since Marie Reed isn't open on weekends. Have you found another decent alternative nearby?

POSTED: 3/16/14 1:32 PM

I'm a little skeptical that a problem with filtration would take this long to fix and would need to be kept secret by the company (unless this is some attempt to limit liability). WSC has a couple of other pools but they are far away and a little short (one is 24 yards, the other is 20 yards). As far as I know, the other free options sort of nearby are Wilson and Dunbar. Wilson is a really nice pool. Haven't been to Dunbar since it re-opened but I think it's open some hours on weekends.

kromatog's ravatar kromatog    JOINED: 6/28/12    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 3/16/14 2:31 PM

I made a point of stopping by over the last several days in person in an effort to try to find out when the pool will be open. Friday evening one of the managers told me it was a licensing issue b/t the city and corporate, paperwork that had to be straightened out. He was not much help beyond that. Skeptical. How could the manager of the facility not know what the license status of his establishment is?

oliviawoods's ravatar oliviawoods    JOINED: 1/11/14    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 3/16/14 3:47 PM

I just went and swam at Dunbar - it's a bit of a trek, but it's a really nice facility, and the pool was nearly empty even on a Sunday afternoon.

POSTED: 3/17/14 1:09 PM

I called this morning and the pool still isn't open. The person at the desk said that it would be open tomorrow. When I said that I was told the same thing yesterday, she said that it was supposed to be open today, but the city needs to inspect something first and the city was closed today from the snow. So, she said, if the city is open tomorrow, they can come inspect and then the pool could be open.

04swiger's ravatar 04swiger    JOINED: 6/21/10    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 3/17/14 2:21 PM

Thanks for checking this. I thought this whole scenario was odd because I swam there the day before it was shut down and I thought the water was cleaner than it had been in a while -- to be a filtration issue. A licensing issue at least makes more sense because DC has a complicated, slow licensing process -- usually an inspection is required before renewal or issue. After all this, they better have that lane line fixed too -- a cheap 25yd lane line is $300. You'd think a big gym could swing that!

POSTED: 3/18/14 5:19 PM

Whoever just answered the phone said that the pool is open now. I hope I remember how to swim.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria