Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Just registered for my first half ironman!
CREATED: 03/17/13 by tkopan REPLIES: 10
tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 46
Just registered for my first half ironman!
POSTED: 3/17/13 5:20 PM

Just registered for the Kinetic Half in May (after getting halfway through my training plan and finishing my first half marathon yesterday) and boy, do I have a lot of questions about finishing the home stretch.

How on earth do you fuel during/for a half iron? What should I be practicing on my long rides?

What is my training plan not preparing me for that I should know?

Where is a good place around here to do a 60 miler (with the least amount of stoplight interference, preferably? I tend to stick to the Virginia trail system (W&OD, Custis, Mt. Vernon, etc) but don't know if there are better options.

Can I do this? Ha.

If anyone can answer any of these questions, it'd be very much appreciate. Anything to calm my nerves a bit! And for all of you doing the race as well, looking forward to (hopefully) finishing it with you!
-Tal

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 258
RE: Just registered for my first half ironman!
POSTED: 3/18/13 6:33 AM

How on earth do you fuel during/for a half iron? What should I be practicing on my long rides?

You answered your own question. Practice your fueling. Do brick workouts in excess of 3 hours.

You can do a century ride on the W&OD.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 3/18/13 8:02 AM

What is my training plan not preparing me for that I should know?

>>> During your training, you will eat like nobody's business during pre-breakfast, breakfast, pre-lunch, lunch, pre-dinner, dinner, post dinner ... budget accordingly ;)

You will then wonder how anyone can eat that much, until one day you wake up and decide to take on an Ironman. You will then realized that not only can anyone eat that much, they can eat 3x as much :)

Your first ride or two above 50-60 miles, you will ask yourself, "how the f** do I run 13.1 miles after this!"

Two-a day workouts seems doable on paper. After the first week, you will say, "it's not so bad." 4-5 weeks in, you'll be like parents of a newborn ... lacking sleep and energy :)

Your best exit strategy is to go straight to the Ironman and skip the middleman.

Where is a good place around here to do a 60 miler (with the least amount of stoplight interference, preferably?

>>>> You can loop around Hains Point 10x or you can use the below route. Personally, I think everyone should go around Hains Point 10x at least once in their lifetime. If you want to do something really fun, instead of going 10x around the Hains Point long loop, go 20x around the Hains Point short loop :)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/dc/washington/926124888526131286
R Wisconsin (0.0)
L Resevoir Rd (@~0.5)
R MacArthur Blvd (@~2.1)
R Falls Rd (@~12.6)
L River Rd (@~14.7)

R Travilah Rd (@~19.8)
turn slight R to stay on Travilah at Turkey Foot intersection (@~22)
L Darnestown Rd (Rte 28) (@~25.2)
L Seneca Rd (Rte 112) (@~30.8)
becomes River Rd (@~33.6)
stay on River Rd. until the Partnership Rd intersection (@35)

TURN AROUND
River Rd (112)
R on 190 to stay on River Rd (@~36.5)
R Falls Rd (@~44.5)
Rest Stop: Gas Station

L MacArthur Blvd (@~46.5)
L Resevoir Rd (@~57.9)
R Wisconsin (@~58.6)
Home base @59.44

--Tuan

molnarc2's ravatar molnarc2    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 3/18/13 8:46 AM

I second the comment about 10 laps around Hains Point; no iPod and no riding group, just you, your bike, and the road. It's good prep for any kind of psychological test you'll ever encounter.

-Charles

pmahler's ravatar pmahler    JOINED: 1/21/12    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 3/18/13 9:01 AM

Can I do this? Ha.

It depends on what you mean by "this." If your goal is to finish, then the answer is yes.

Desire [can be] the root of suffering. Something worth passing along is from a good friend's race report for her first half. She quoted something Mirinda Carfrae said in the pro talk the day before: The first race is about having fun and finishing. The second time is about racing, pushing, and trying harder.

I will also add, don't do what I did on my first HIM last year, and consume only 400 calories.

tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 3/18/13 9:16 AM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Taking it to heart (Although maybe not the part about skipping straight to a full Iron, haha.)

What do you eat during the race? Just a ton of Gu? Or do you eat honeystingers/PowerBars and such on the bike too?

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 953
POSTED: 3/18/13 9:33 AM

Having not seen your training plan.... umm.. don't fret, it's preparing you for everything! :::^)::

What to eat during the race? Eat what you like. Eat what works for you. Eat whatever won't upset your system. It's a totally personal preference.

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 3/18/13 11:03 AM

Lots of club members contributed to this thread, which I found very helpful before my first HIM:
What do you know now, that you wish someone had told you before your first half ironman?

As for long bike rides, if you don't mind a little driving first, nothing beats Maryland, imho. You'd be surprised how close empty, smooth, farmland roads are in Charles County or St. Mary's County. Or over the bridge in Kent County, not only are the farmland roads empty and smooth, but its flat as a pancake. When I first started really long rides, it was nice to have them flat.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 3/18/13 12:02 PM

Listen to Bryan C. Frank ... he knows.

-Andy Sovonick of Gaithersburg

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 147
POSTED: 3/18/13 12:12 PM

I like to eat real food on the bike and save the easy to carry gu's for the run. On your practice rides, try peanut butter sandwich with jelly or honey or nutella and peanut butter filled pretzils.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1742
POSTED: 3/18/13 2:12 PM

You might check out the club's Half Ironman Program.

And, along with the weekend rides out of Gtown, you might tri the Mt. Weather ride out of Marshall, VA. It's half iron distance, yet with long steep climbs: if you can bike a half there, you can bike a half anywhere.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria