Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

designing a workout
CREATED: 01/27/11 by dmd326 REPLIES: 5
dmd326's ravatar dmd326    JOINED: 10/28/10    POSTS: 70
designing a workout
POSTED: 1/27/11 2:06 PM

I got the NTP plan for this month, and I'm looking forward to getting started. But, maybe I'm confused. The plan is only segments of time, not what to do during that time. Is it all just continuous? Will this be covered at Tri 101?

Thanks!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
RE: designing a workout
POSTED: 1/27/11 2:15 PM

Excellent question. :)

Quick answer: yes, that will all be explained at the Tri 101 clinic.

Longer answer: right now the training plan is calling just for swims and runs. For the swims, we just want you to get comfortable in the water if you're not a good swimmer. Just get yourself from one end of the pool to the other and take a rest. If you do 4 lengths during 20 minutes (or however long the swim is), then that's what you do. Get comfortable in the water. Putting your head in the water. Or whatever gets you used to swimming. If you're a good swimmer, then go swim for that amount of time. This is why we do training by time and not by distance.

For the runs, the same thought applies. Go out walking/jogging/running/run-walking for the allotted time. If you cover 5 miles in 20 minutes, well, then maybe you should try out for the Olympics. If you do 1/2 a mile, then that's what you do.

It doesn't have to be continuous. If you can do that, then great. If not, then all we want you to do is do what you can, but get out there for the scheduled times. :)

And this will apply much more for the running, than swimming, but try to keep your heart rate down in Zone 1-2. We'll explain heart rate zones at the Tri 101 clinic, but basically it is a very light level of effort.

I hope that answers your question.

Bryan
2011 NTP Co-Leader

POSTED: 1/27/11 2:17 PM

Got it. Thanks!

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 364
POSTED: 1/27/11 4:53 PM

Hey dmd326 -

Where did you get the NTP training plan for this month? I must not be looking at the right part of the website.

-Cat

POSTED: 1/27/11 4:54 PM

It was in an e-mail sent out this morning. :)

-d

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 364
POSTED: 1/27/11 5:00 PM

Hmmm ... my boss told me that I need to read my emails and not just skim them, apparently i need to do this with my personal life too. :D Thanks!

-Cat

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria