Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Power Cranks: Info, Buy, Rent, or Borrow
CREATED: 06/10/09 by garydean REPLIES: 5
garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
Power Cranks: Info, Buy, Rent, or Borrow
POSTED: 6/10/09 8:35 AM

Does anyone have experience with and thoughts/recommendations on Power Cranks? They are pretty pricey, but if hype (and recommendations in knowledgeable clinics) is to be believed, worth it. But I don't know of anyone with personal experience.

Anyone happen to have a pair for sale, rent, or borrow???

Local shops that carry them?

Thanks,
Gary

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
RE: Power Cranks: Info, Buy, Rent, or Borrow
POSTED: 6/10/09 10:19 AM

Paul D had a pair for about 3-4 months...while the cool factor was there and he enjoyed them for the first month or so, he quickly became frustrated as every ride became a training ride on them and quickly removed them and resold them on Ebay.

I have heard of others that have had them for a couple months then got rid of them saying their rides weren't as enjoyable anymore and there was no appreciable difference when using them.

I don't think there is any definitive data on whether or not they work, but slowtwitch has debated the topic extensively on their forum with Frank Day (the creator of them) chiming in as well.

Try checking there for some thorough information.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/10/09 10:25 AM

a friend of a friend in nyc used thse for 1 year over a winter... that "friend" is not me i wouldn't spend that much on cranks, unless they were srm cranks and i don't have that kind of money.

said they worked overall his speed increases and that it took an adjustment period to use.

catch = he was a bit obsessive with triathlons and training for an IM race for the past few years, liked to do all his long rides alone, so that may have been a factor.. lol.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/10/09 11:27 AM

If they help people get on their bikes more and for longer amounts of time AND work harder while riding (and thus, will then see better race results) then by all means! Just seems like an expensive motivator...post-ride ice cream seems to do it for me. =)

Andy

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 6/10/09 11:47 AM

Andy,

What is this talk of ice cream? I thought you were all about sparks and joose post ride?!?!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/10/09 12:00 PM

Ryan, I thought that went without saying...going to need something to wash all that ice cream down with! Mmmmm, JOOSE.

Andy B.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria