Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

IM Texas
CREATED: 05/03/12 by gandybt REPLIES: 20
gandybt    JOINED: 11/8/09    POSTS: 53
IM Texas
POSTED: 5/03/12 2:50 PM

Just curious to know if anyone besides me is doing IM Texas in 2 weeks. Let me know if you are.

See y'all in Houston!

-Brad

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 268
RE: IM Texas
POSTED: 5/03/12 2:51 PM

Yep. See you there.

jmmoore    JOINED: 4/27/12    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 5/03/12 6:35 PM

Say hey to the Iron Cowboy... IM Texas will be #7 of the 30 - 140.6 races that James Lawrence has scheduled for 2012.

Info:
http://www.triandgiveadam.com/

Race reports:
http://triandgiveadam.blogspot.com/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Ironcowboy

agardner's ravatar agardner    JOINED: 6/1/10    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 5/06/12 5:11 PM

I'm in for the 140.6 sauna too. So is Adrian Cox.

Aaron Gardner

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 5/07/12 9:07 AM

I'm in.

Phil Schmidt

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 210
POSTED: 5/07/12 10:23 AM

$end 'em, Phil Schmidt.

POSTED: 5/07/12 11:50 AM

Easily.

POSTED: 5/13/12 9:37 AM

Are you guys even bringing your wetsuits? Its starting to look like slim chances it will be much below 80 degree water if even that low.

POSTED: 5/13/12 11:06 AM

I'm leaving the wetsuit at home. Bringing a swimskin/speedsuit...temps down in Tejas have been in the high 70's - low 80's for a while now...highly unlikely the water will be wetsuit legal and even if it is, it'll just barely be so. My way of thinking is that even if it's legal, temperature-wise, it'll be a sweatfest for those wearing wetsuits and you're gonna need every nanoparticle of electrolytes for later in the race.

...not that I have an opinion on this or anything.

POSTED: 5/13/12 1:47 PM

I plan on bringing it. Not bringing it would ensure a temperature drop and a wetsuit legal race. As far as using it, we'll see.

POSTED: 5/14/12 8:16 AM

I'm bringing mine just in case. IMLP was not wetsuit legal last year, and yet, not believing that it could possibly happen, I had decided not to bring my speedsuit.

So, on race morning we learned it was officially not wetsuit legal and I was without speedsuit options. That sucked.

The moral of the story: Always bring everything because you never know and never want to wish you had it when you don't.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1318
POSTED: 5/14/12 9:26 AM

Agreed with Phil. I did IM Longhorn 70.3 in Austin, TX one year. The week before the race the RD sent out an email saying that the water temp was 10 degrees higher than wetsuit legal. As race day got closer, the water temp began to drop. On race day, it was 0.2 degrees below legal.

Conversely, IM Germany last year predicted race day temp of mid 70s. I brought my leg warmers and arm warmers with me for no other reason than it was just there in front of my suitcase. On race day, it was in the 50s and bone chilling windy and rainy. I'd like to believe that those warmers were the difference between me finishing with 2 frozen testicles instead of 4.

It's a long day out there. Bring everything. Prepare for the worse, hope for the best :)

Tuan

POSTED: 5/14/12 10:04 AM

I think I will probably bring it. I totally agree that if I left it at home, the temperature would surely drop because the universe hates me.

Part of me wishes I had a speed suit to wear but my concern has always been that people would look at me in a speed suit the way I look at 1993 Honda Civics with nitrous boosters..."even that didn’t make him fast."

Thanks everyone,

Aaron

POSTED: 5/16/12 9:09 AM

Just an FYI y'all fellow lovers of heat and sunshine...we're going to have PLENTY of both come Saturday. Current forecast forecast for race day is Sunny, no clouds, lo of 68, hi of 88, sunrise at 0626, sunset at 2010, humidity at 78%.

In other words, it's gonna be a sweatfest, particularly on the run. On a brighter note, winds are forecast for 9mph...just enough to keep it pleasant on the bike.

Bring your sun bloc and LOTS of electrolyte tabs...I guarantee you we'll see folks on the course (likely on the run) who go down hard because they overload on fluids ('cause it's hot, right?), flush their systems, and drop...hard. Just a thought, but don't blow off that stash you've got in the SN bag on the run 'cause you're trying to make time.

Travel safe and say hello on the course! I'll be easy to find...the one who's running like a tortoise at mile 15!

-Brad

POSTED: 5/16/12 10:05 AM

I just finished a nice little run around the woodlands. Humidity is very high. Prepare to get sweaty and not dry off until you get back to DC.

Gooba's ravatar Gooba    JOINED: 12/2/10    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 5/16/12 12:13 PM

Last year it was not wet suit legal but they allowed people to wear them, they would not be eligible for any spots. I did't wear one. I got lucky last year with a little rain in the am to cool things off a bit. Keep in mind there is a solid head wind after mile 61 for about 20 miles or so.
Enjoy the run, don't grab a beer at the bar you will run by 3 times. It is really hard not to especially on the third round. Good luck Brez and all others. Don't forget my jersy J, thanks.
Oh yeah post race meal, there is a White Castle one parking lot over!
Glenn

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 5/16/12 12:29 PM

Good luck and happy racing to all our IMTX representation!
Can't wait for the race reports.

--Abby

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 5/16/12 3:45 PM

Very exciting! Good luck everyone. You will hammer the course!!

jorlie's ravatar jorlie    JOINED: 11/19/10    POSTS: 57
POSTED: 5/16/12 4:35 PM

Best of luck to everyone. @Jason, hey at least SJ70.3 served as good training with the weather & non wetsuit swim.

pmahler's ravatar pmahler    JOINED: 1/21/12    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 8/21/12 2:15 PM

Riddle me this DC Tri - how do you think this race rates for a first IM?

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria