Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike DC to Harpers Ferry
CREATED: 06/10/09 by susieb REPLIES: 6
susieb    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
Bike DC to Harpers Ferry
POSTED: 6/10/09 12:20 PM

Hi, I'm hoping to bike from DC to Harpers Ferry, WV, on Saturday, and I'm wondering if anybody knows any good on-road routes? I found a route on Bikely, but I can't get any feedback on it. I'll include it below, but any other advice would be helpful!

Thanks
Susie

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: Bike DC to Harpers Ferry
POSTED: 6/10/09 1:10 PM

I like this route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/DC-to-DCL

Still on 340 for a ways, but keeps it to a minimum.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 6/10/09 2:31 PM

Interestingly enough that route was probably created by me....since I was trying to figure out if you can get there using the roads we travel to get to Harpers Ferry.....although as I have recently learned Bikely doesn't do a good job distinguishing gravel roads from paved roads.....but that is part of the adventure right?

I do know that the entire route to sugarloaf to Point of Rocks is good to go and we ride 95% of it every weekend. The only variable is from Point of Rocks to Harpers Ferry....but I think from what I know of driving there it is good to go as well.

Not an easy route by any means since the route to Sugarloaf is almost entirely up hill...it is a tough but nice 80+ miles!

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 6/10/09 4:18 PM

I noticed the start location on the ride and figured its origin Chad. I am kind of intrigued. 160 round trip would be rough as would biking with a small backpack and spending the night in Harper's Ferry. Although since we all love challenges....

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 6/10/09 4:21 PM

Throw in yesterday's storms...and we've got the challenge of the year....

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 6/10/09 4:23 PM

I like where your head is at. Seriously we should do it this year :-)

susieb    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 6/10/09 5:59 PM

Wow, thanks everybody! I've never really posted on here before, and this was super helpful! Haha, so what you're saying is, that route is doable! I was planning on going to Harper's Ferry Saturday, and then heading back to DC Sunday.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria