Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Volunteering at the Colombia Tri
CREATED: 04/21/09 by jmgordon REPLIES: 11
jmgordon    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 9
Volunteering at the Colombia Tri
POSTED: 4/21/09 8:42 PM

Are other NTP'ers interested in helping out/ manning the DC tri tent/ watching gear etc. at the Colombia Tri? I would like to go and support DC tri members racing at Colombia, and I think it would be great to see a triathlon and get a feel for things before NJ. Colombia Tri is Sunday May 17th.

Anyone know if there is a sign up list going or who we should contact?

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
RE: Volunteering at the Colombia Tri
POSTED: 4/21/09 9:48 PM

You need to sign up for volunteering through the Columbia website. I'm hoping to work a deal so we can pitch the DC Tri tent again, but no guarantees. You should definately volunteer and check it out.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 950
POSTED: 4/22/09 8:05 AM

Even if you (the all-encompassing, general "you") don't want to volunteer (or are nervous about volunteering given being new to triathlons), you can always go out and just watch the race and cheer on fellow DC Tri racers.

I know a large group of NTPers went out last year just to watch a triathlon take place. A lot of them wanted to check out what a swim start looks like or to see what transition is like. I would definitely encourage NTPers to do this.

I might even encourage just watching over volunteering for NTPers right now as that lets you wander around during the race instead of being limited to one place handing out water or so.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 4/22/09 8:24 AM

x2 on what Bryan said. If you have never done a tri before (especially if you are a weak swimmer), don't underestimate how intimidating a 750 m or 1500 m swim can look like in real life. Don't make your race day the first time that you've seen the distance layed out in the open water. It may cause you to have multiple heart attacks.

jmgordon    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 4/28/09 9:28 AM

Given these words of wisdom, Im going to nix volunteering and simply go up to Colombia and watch the race. Are other NTP'ers interested in getting a group together and car pooling up?

Do any veterans know how early we should head out from DC the morning of the race, Im guessing traffic is pretty bad.

jvanleunen    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 4/28/09 10:26 AM

Great idea! I'm interested in going to watch - I can drive and have room for 3-4 people to get up there.

Email me julie.vanleunen@gmail.com if you want in on our car pool and I'll coordinate meeting etc.

kemerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 4/28/09 10:43 AM

I would love to go up and watch and can give rides to 3 other people.

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 4/28/09 11:32 AM

As a vetran of both doing and volunteering at tris, I would HIGHLY encourage anyone who is interested in watching the swim start to also volunteer to help direct runners on the run course, help hand out water somewhere along the course or generally pitch in to ensure the racers [and the Club] have a good race. Its great to watch how a race goes on but its even better [and participants really appreciate it] to lend a hand.

I've both raced and volunteered at Columbia and both are extremly rewarding.

My two cents.

Tamara's ravatar Tamara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 4/28/09 12:16 PM

+1 to Cory. I think if you volunteer but are specific about the timeframes during which you want to, then there's plenty of time to see other elements of the race. My husband is signed up, so I'll be doing body-marking before the race and probably also supporting the post-race awards, but can focus on watching for/cheering him on during the race.

It was HUGE to see Cory cheering for me as I struggled up one of the hills on the run course last year.

olib    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 4/28/09 12:43 PM

Ditto on the "going to Columbia". I was there last year as support and it was great in so many ways. To provide verbal support is best adn very rewarding in itself, but there is also very much to be learned by watching the prep,course, and transitions. Highly recommended.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 4/28/09 6:55 PM

its good to see that people want to volunteer at races, too many times people even experienced triathletes dont' volunteer at races

if volunteering right now is not right for you then go and watch and learn, i think you will have a great time.

then next race you can volunteer and have a good time with that.

race directors and participants need volunteers at every race, the value of a good volunteer can not be overstressed and i would encourage any new triathlete or experienced triathlete to volunteer at a local triathlon when you have the time to do so.

good luck.

palomine84    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 4/28/09 8:12 PM

Hey there,

I'd also be interested in caraving up to watch Columbia!

Rachel

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria