Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Xterra Wetsuit Discount
CREATED: 06/10/09 by jane REPLIES: 17
jane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 4
Xterra Wetsuit Discount
POSTED: 6/10/09 2:21 PM

Has anyone used or read anythign about the Xterra Vortex3 wetsuit that is available for 50 percent off to people signed up for Nation's? I'm considering purchasing the john but am hoping to get some feedback from people who know a little about wetsuits.

Here's the description:
"The Vortex3 is our most popular wetsuit, with a traditional design for athletes who want an all-around, all-purpose wetsuit to use while training and racing. Thanks to its new Hyper-Flex GKA Neoprene which makes it durable and buoyant, you’ll get a wetsuit like none other on the market. And with its specially developed X-tra Stretch Lining, which is used throughout the suit (not just in the arms where typically found), it has unparalleled flexibility in all four directions. The front chest to ankle panel is all 5mm, and the remainder of the wetsuit has varying thickness for flexibility where needed.

For many years, the Vortex2 was our most popular wetsuit. There isn’t a race in the world that you won’t see hordes of triathletes wearing the Vortex2. Our 2009 version – the Vortex3 – has improved the speed and flexibility of the Vortex line by using a new neoprene compound that also has a softer feel and is more flexible than any other entry-level wetsuit. In fact, testing of the 2009 wetsuit by a number of elite swimmers resulted in further improvements and overall satisfaction by those that demand the best."

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
RE: Xterra Wetsuit Discount
POSTED: 6/10/09 3:10 PM

I bought the 2008 Vortex john during the year-end model closeout sale and have been very happy with it. It's my first wetsuit so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was suprised at how buoyant it is - it's impossible to drown. Before I bought my suit I asked around and everyone agreed it was a good suit and a good price ($95).

If anyone else is looking at the suit sale, here's the link.

http://xterrawetsuits.com/promo/

sstriguy's ravatar sstriguy    JOINED: 6/18/09    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:17 PM

I bought the Vortex3 john as part of the Nation's Tri 50% off discount. I haven't done much testing in it, but it fits well, is comfortable and was a GREAT price. I'll give it a full test at the Dextro Triathlon this Sunday morning and try to remember to get back to this post to give a more detailed review.

Mark

hilarysmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 6/18/09 4:14 PM

I just bought, and have worn several times, the Vortex3 John wetsuit. Like wombat, since it's my first, I don't have any other wetsuits to compare it with. But, so far, so good -- it's boyant, comfortable, and reasonably priced. Can't say it makes me feel super-sexy, but it makes me feel as though I'm a better swimmer than I actually am. :) Well worth the $150!

flora    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/29/09 10:36 AM

I just had to return the Vortex 3 John because, although the suit fit perfectly, the neck was tight it was literally choking me. when I called xterra they told me they have had numerous complaints about the neck on the Vortex 3 being too tight and they intend to fix that on their next line of suits.

I remembered there was a post on the forum about their wetsuits and just wanted to give you a heads up about this possible defect (and definitely not the kind of problem you want to become aware of out in the open water!). I have owned other wetsuits in the past without this kind of discomfort so it is not normal.

Obviously not everyone has this problem but it is problematic for some. I'm told they are not having this problem with the Vector ProX2 but that is a much more expensive suit.

best of luck...

mcbkrun's ravatar mcbkrun    JOINED: 6/17/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 6/29/09 1:19 PM

I called them about the neck problem last week and the woman on the phone said it was normal for a wetsuit. I've never had a wetsuit so i don't know if she is right. Anyone has any thoughts about this neck problem? It's not chocking me but it does feel tight.

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 6/29/09 1:44 PM

It shouldn't be too tight around the neck. If it is, you will just get chaffing and it will be uncomfortable. You don't need things like this when you're racing.

flora    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/29/09 2:02 PM

To clarify, tightness around the neck is not normal, especially if it causes you any discomfort. I have had Quintano Roo wetsuits in the past and they were comfortable - not even close to what I experienced with the xterra vortex. It should be tight on the chest to keep water from coming in, but not on the throat.

I agree with the previous post - you can't sacrifice comfort when you are racing. If it bothers you a little when you are standing, then most likely you will experience chaffing and tightness. If you decide to keep it, you should definitely test it in the water.

As a point of reference, you should go to a store that sells wetsuit and try a different brand on in your size. I think Conte's and a few other DC tri merchant partners have them in stock.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 6/29/09 3:45 PM

Ordered the $199 John. Great deal. Out of stock until end of July. I mentioned I had an earlier race, they sent me a rental for free, next model down. Fit great but ended up not racing in it at Montclair. Recommend the company and the wetsuit price is certainly the best out there. I had no probs at the neck.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 3/16/10 2:01 PM

I couldn't find the discount anywhere since this post is over 6 months old. Couldn't find it online either, so I talked to Eterra and here is the current deal for DC Tri Peeps, that means you.

As a member of the DC Tri Club, Eterra offers a vortex 3 sleeveless wetsuit for $129 (retail price is $300) or the vortex 3 fullsuit for $179 (retail price is $400).

All orders over $149 qualify you for free shipping.

When you go to place your order, enter the coupon code BT. Be sure to click on the button that says “Apply Coupon Code” before you complete the order.

I am trying to find out if this deal is for the new 2010 models or is it for the 2009 models. Important because I've read the posts about the neck being tight for some in the 2009 models.

My question being a newbie and I'm sure it comes down to personal preference, but sleeveless or with sleeves??? I can't decide. Is the water that cold around here for the full suit???

Pete

POSTED: 3/16/10 2:34 PM

I confirmed the discount is for the 2010 model.

Pete

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 3/16/10 3:56 PM

Hi guys, I've been slacking on updating our merchant partner page, but for now here is the latest 411:

XTERRA WETSUITS, our wetsuit sponsor, has a new website – www.xterrawetsuits.com. There, you can select from all their products. After you have selected your wetsuit, you will see your product in your SHOPPING CART AND CHECKOUT page. At “Step 1: Calculate Tax & Shipping” you will be asked for your COUPON CODE. This is where you enter our team/club (which is DCTRI) code and hit APPLY COUPON. Your Group Discount will automatically appear under each product and you’ll be able to continue with your order.

Here are the current promotions for XTERRA WETSUITS’ 2010 current product line:

1. VOLT - $99

2. Vortex3 john - $129 (reg. $300)

3. Vortex3 fullsuit - $179 (reg. $400)

4. VectorProX2 john - $199 (reg. $400)

5. VectorProX2 fullsuit - $299 (reg. $600)

6. Vendetta fullsuit - $500 (reg. $695)

7. Velocity 0.02 speedsuit - $99 (reg. $250)

8. Velocity++ speedsuit - $119 (reg. $350)

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 3/17/10 9:12 PM

The sleveless vs. sleve debate will go on and on...my opinion, I like sleveless (johns) because I like to have my arms free to move. Others prefer sleeves. if I was swimming in really cold water I think sleeves would be good, but I have really liked my vortex john and not really needed a cold water suit. We'll see how cold Bumpass is next month!

EnronX's ravatar EnronX    JOINED: 3/29/10    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 3/29/10 5:25 PM

Just wanted to report that Jason, at Phone: 858.565.9500
was a real great guy and honored both free shipping and the $179 deal for the Vortex3.

He was honest with me and said he doesn't really recommend that I try and scuba much with the wetsuit but with the 3 year warranty I'm pretty confident if I'm gentle with the suit and not rubbing against coral on purpose I should be ok.

Great 3MM suit and an awesome deal!

Nate

rmurdock    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 3/29/10 5:39 PM

Is there anywhere we can try them on?? I need one but not sure about the sleeve/no sleeve thing. Also is the Volt a good first time suit??
Thanks~Rachel

POSTED: 3/30/10 11:54 AM

Rachel - They aren't really in stores because Xterra does their sales through their website. They have a size chart thing on there where you put in your height and weight. After doing that I called them to discuss where I was a little larger and smaller and they gave me a recommendation. You have 30 days to try it on and swim in it and can exchange it if needed. Not sure on the Volt.

Some people don't like the sleeves because they feel it restricts them too much. Some go with sleeveless so the suit is cooler. Some like the sleeves because they add bouncy. Some believe more rubber means you'll go faster. It's a person preference. I'd just try one out and see if you like it. Some of the higher end ones cut and sew the rubber together around the shoulders in a way that makes it easier to swim.

I went with the Vector Pro, but I expect to be doing a number of Tris. The Vector Pro was back ordered till April 20th or something. Must be a big demand.

Pete

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 3/30/10 12:48 PM

I bought a vortex john last year with the Nation's discount code and have been very happy with it, having worn it now for 3 races. A few thoughts to throw out there:

-I was between sizes and made the mistake of choosing the bigger size. They were very cool about letting me return it for a smaller size but if you are between sizes, I would definitely advise going down a size so as to minimize the risk of any return hassle. The suit should fit like a second skin...if it's too easy to get on and off, it's probably too big. I read about the neck issues with the vortex--it is tight, but it doesn't choke me. Ask them if they addressed this issue with their new Volt entry-level suit.

-Personally, I like sleeveless, but it seems most folks go full-sleeves (at least it appears that way when everybody is standing around waiting for their swim wave). The warmth concern should be a non-issue unless you plan on doing Alcatraz or some other race with particularly cold water. My sleeveless was fine for a tri with an ocean swim in Delaware in mid-Oct last year. For me, the deciding factor was that I felt like I had to force my arms down (due to the extra buoyancy) with a sull-sleeve suit. Not a big deal in shorter swims, but it made me more tired over longer distances.

-One thing I learned really quickly is that these things are FRAGILE. I wouldn't plan on using your tri suit to go bodysurfing or scuba-diving anytime soon. I take good care of mine and stil have several small holes in the suit from where I stepped on a stone in transition or a shell on the beach. You can patch them up with wetsuit cement fairly easily...but these things are not made for high-impact activities.

Matt

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 229
Wetsuit advice
POSTED: 3/30/10 2:01 PM

I'm finally looking into buying a decent wetsuit and was hoping to gather some advise and suggestions.

I would like a sleeveless suit of good quality that will last me a few seasons but not cost a fortune.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks,

Tania.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria