DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Lodging Recommendations
CREATED: 10/02/13 by cclark1025 REPLIES: 2
cclark1025's ravatar cclark1025    JOINED: 3/12/12    POSTS: 34
Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Lodging Recommendations
POSTED: 10/02/13 4:15 PM

Hi all,

So I'm late to the game (per usual) and have been calling around for lodging. So far, I have the South Meadow Farm Lodge, which appears to be around 7 miles from the race and is on the bike course. It seems a little nicer than my other option, the Pines Inn, which is downtown. The prices are comparable, but I wondered whether anyone had stayed at either of these locations and had any thoughts--particularly about how awful it might be to come in from 7 miles outside of town. I have family members that can drive me in on race morning, but I'm more worried about things like parking and being able to get around generally in the days before and after the race.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Christina

Spot99    JOINED: 4/15/11    POSTS: 11
RE: Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Lodging Recommendations
POSTED: 10/02/13 7:13 PM

We stayed at the Northwoods Inn this year. It was bad, but not dirty. The pictures on the web site are not accurate and they are not an official race hotel as they advertised on the web site. They have very limited parking, but we got there on Wed and did not drive again until we left on Monday. They have two elevators but only one works. Its was not a big deal for me, but my wife and daughter got tried of climbing to the top floor. The Trip Advisor comments/recommendations provide a very accurate description. There were lots of food smells because some of the rooms have kitchens. When we mentioned to a local person that we were staying there, they apologized. Except for the location, I have nothing good to say about it. We are not staying there for 2014.

In spite of the crappy hotel room, we had a really great time. Lake Placid is a great place and a wonderful Ironman.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
RE: Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Lodging Recommendations
POSTED: 10/03/13 8:04 AM

The first two times I raced Lake Placid, I stayed at the Northwoods Inn and it is as described above. However it is right on Main Street just blocks from transition. This past year, I rented a 2-bedroom house just a few blocks off Main Street and about 3/4 mile from transition for $2K for the week. It was a real nice house and worked great. Plus it is nice to have a full kitchen to cook food. If you are interested, I could send you the owner's email.

As for staying out of town, you can find parking in and around the Village during the week and on race day on the side streets. They are also parking lots outside of the Village with shuttle service for the race. It should work fine. For IM Louisville, I stayed about 10 miles outside of the city and didn't have any issues.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria