Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Scale Recommendation
CREATED: 03/03/09 by legalmoose REPLIES: 7
legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 221
Scale Recommendation
POSTED: 3/03/09 7:10 AM

My trusty analog weight scale is dying (the clear plastic over the needle has been slowly getting cloudy and it's almost unreadable now), so I thought I'd get one o' them there fancy scales with the body fat measuring and all that. 'Cause you know, more numbers to track is better. :-D

Anyone have any suggestions on a good scale for triathletes? Thanks!

Will

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: Scale Recommendation
POSTED: 3/03/09 8:47 AM

Will,
Tanita (tanita.com) makes some decent scale + body fat monitors. I have an older one and it's held up well. The body fat tracking may not be super accurate because it varies with hydration, but the trends are helpful and newer models are supposed to be better.
Cheers -Jason

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 3/03/09 9:58 AM

I've got a Homedics and I think the model is called the HealthStation. It's fairly new so I can't comment on durability but it does have the ability to save multiple users and has an athlete mode. It measures body fat, body water percent, muscle mass and bone mass. It also provides a daily calorie number based on the above. I can't say that any of these are scientifically accurate but it looks nice and it's much more consistent than my old analog scale on which I could gain or lose 5 pounds by stepping on or off.

One comment on the Tanitas that probably won't impact a lot of people. On some of their models, if you have small feet you won't be able to reach both of the contact pads they use for measuring body fat percentage. I wear a size 5.5 and I don't register on many of their scales.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 3/03/09 10:54 AM

I have the Tanita InnerScan Body Composition Monitor. It does pretty much everything that the Homedics HealthStation does - weight, body fat %, body water %, muscle mass, bone mass, daily calorie number, metabolic age, etc. Like Jason said, the body fat/hydration/muscle mass numbers vary a lot depending on your current hydration levels, but it's definitely helpful to watch the trends.

I picked mine up at a race expo a couple of months ago (total impulse buy! - they were offering a discount and free shipping). It was through a company called The Competitive Edge. Their website is www.thecompetitiveedge.com. The model that I purchased was the BC554. It has a the M-dot logo on it - I was hoping that it might motivate me when I step on the scale. I'll let you know when it starts doing so. ;)

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 3/04/09 9:03 AM

Will..

I think I have the Tanita BF683W. I found it on sale at REI a couple years ago and like it. I don't 'swear by' the numbers, but instead use them as a guide.

If you're still in SW, we could plan 'weigh ins' a la "The Biggest Loser" :D as well as 'last chance workouts'. The display isn't as big as the one on the show, but we could wear unflattering outfits just like they do. Interested??

Jen

hlindsay    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 3/04/09 9:02 PM

I have this Omron, and pretty much swear by it. It's numbers always match exactly what my nutritionist came up with from her crazy testing.

Tracks your progress for a couple months and also has several users info stored.

PS- my dog jumps on it all the time when he gets out of the shower and it just takes the beating.

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 221
POSTED: 3/05/09 11:45 AM

Jen, I weigh in daily, you mean you don't hear the screams every morning? ;-)

Will

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 3/05/09 1:06 PM

How can I over my own deafening cries? ?

Jen

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria