Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

USAT task force studying deaths during 2011 races
CREATED: 10/03/11 by sewert12 REPLIES: 1
sewert12's ravatar sewert12    JOINED: 5/21/10    POSTS: 98
USAT task force studying deaths during 2011 races
POSTED: 10/03/11 9:00 PM

This AP story on the USAT task force studying the string of deaths during races this season (NYC, IM Lou, Nation's, apparently one in Maine) has gotten picked up by papers all over the country:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-tri-triathlon-deaths,0,3337160.story

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: USAT task force studying deaths during 2011
POSTED: 10/03/11 10:52 PM

I'm not a doctor, but I believe many/most of these deaths end being found to be a specific type of heart disease (hypertrophic cardiomyopothy), which can often be diagnosed with a routine echocardiogram. No matter how healthy, you owe it to yourself to get one done if you have any family history of heart disease (and maybe as you get older even if you don't). Going for a routine check up just may not cut it. I'm only 27 but just had one done last month after a family member had an issue and a few others were diagnosed. It's good peace of mind if nothing else.

If you don't have health insurance, it only costs as much as a set of Zipps:). Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria