Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Swimmer Equality Act
CREATED: 07/30/09 by nomisdc REPLIES: 17
nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
Swimmer Equality Act
POSTED: 7/30/09 1:00 PM

Just some thoughts to address needs across our sport and also to ensure that we are doing something fun while at work.

We swimmers seek to establish the equality in triathlon that has long eluded us. Think of the acts which allowed minorities and women to vote - this is along those lines. We simply ask for equal representation.

As such in the current state:
- runners dominate. it is too easy to catch up to a swimmer who has a lead. this is even ingrained in Ironman sayings "you can lose the race in the swim, but you can't win it there."
- the increase in distance from a 5k to a marathon is 8.5 times. For cycling it's 12 to 112 miles - 9.3 times. The increase from a sprint tri of 750 yards to 2.4 miles (4224 yards) in an ironman is only 5 times.
- 4224 yards is not that hard for elite swimmers, or even decent swimmers. swimmers will do that in one workout, even much longer. a marathon is hard for any runner. runners don't run 26+ miles in training.

We request one or more of the following options:
- double swim distances
- triple swim distances
- bike, run, then swim
- eliminate wetsuits
- choose only very rough water race courses
- giant squid to hassle swimmers

Once we all agree to take these actions, we will take it up to USAT and North American Sports (Ironman brand) and twist some arms.

Herminator's ravatar Herminator    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
RE: Swimmer Equality Act
POSTED: 7/30/09 1:16 PM

Swimmers have definitely not been treated equally in the triathlon world. However, before going after the runners, I do believe that a bit of cyclist-bashing is in order. I mean, pretty much all of the pros and most of the age groupers spend more time on their bikes during races than swimming and running combined. What sense does THAT make???

Gather the villagers, sharpen the pitchforks, light the torches and lets go after the cyclists!!!

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 131
POSTED: 7/30/09 1:28 PM

If I thought you had any pull at USAT, I'd put a hit out on your life.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
POSTED: 7/30/09 1:32 PM

On behalf of vertical swimmers ... don't hate. Without us, you wouldn't be in the top 10% of your age group out of the water. We help you build your self-worth.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/30/09 1:36 PM

Lol. This is great. I say bring back the beach start even if there is only a pool or lake for the swim would make things more interesting to say the least. Thank heaven triathlons won't be banning any o the cool swim suits hat fina is banning. Long love triathlons and the majority of which are terrible swimmers!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 899
POSTED: 7/30/09 2:53 PM

To continue Hugh's post from the other thread....

Yeah, I think to prevent drownings is the reason the triathlon order was reversed to put the swim first. But I think it should be something like a Titanium-man or Molybdenum-man for anyone who can swim 2.4 miles AFTER biking 112 and running a marathon. :)

I could have so much chemistry fun with this... Selenium-man. Radium-man. Females could be Tungsten/Oxygen-man. Okay, I'll stop...

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 7/30/09 4:00 PM

Bryan, I like that idea of a swim after the run. Heck, half the time you need to cool off anyway. But make it a shorter distance than the first one. I sometimes do a swim/run/swim with my swimmers. That second swim would be tough. Check this one, Chlorine-man or Sulfuric-man (had to look that one up).

I don't know about wearing those skin suits for a triathlon. Last year I tried one one and they are supposed to be tight. I was afraid to tie my shoes for fear of splitting my suit.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 7/30/09 4:06 PM

Us swimmers - you know, the people who laugh maniacally and twiddle our fingers a la Mr. Burns when they announce that a race is NOT wetsuit-legal - need to band together, so I'm just going to come right out and ask this: Simon, will you marry me?

Instead of or in addition to harassing swimmers with giant squid, they could also populate the waters with Vertical Swimmers to create an maddening obstacle course of some kind.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 7/30/09 4:35 PM

Perhaps we swimmers could institute a point or reward system. For every vertical swimmer we make cry - 1 less mile we have to do on land. Clocking a vertical swimmer in the water - 2 less miles on land. Passing a vertical swimmer who started in an earlier wave, 3 less miles on land. Rescuing a drowning vertical swimmer - well, screw that. Let 'em drown so they won't pass us on the run :)

gurubiloxi    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 7/30/09 4:42 PM

This is a great thread.

I've only done a handful of OLYs, but with each one I become a little more annoyed at what short shrift swimming gets.

I would disagree runners have the advantage. I think OLYs are bike races with a little swimming and running thrown in. With the swimming and the running, it is basically you versus the course, with very minor gradations in technological advantages. But with the biking, it's not the best biker who has the advantage, but the biker with the best BIKE. It's the only part of a tri in which technology can make up for lack of skill or fitness. You can literally buy yourself a personal record. And the biking ends up being time-wise a little over half the race.

I think the time it takes an average triathlete to do each task should be closer to equally divided. So, in an OLY, you'd have something like a 1.5 mile swim, an 18-mile bike, and a 10K run. Or, instead of dividing people into age groups, divide people into biking technology classes. The $10,000 division, the $7,500 division, the $5,000 division, and so on.

Maybe we should organize an alternative tri here in DC?

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/30/09 4:50 PM

Hmm. Not sure that the bike you can buy speed. Yes you spend the most money for speed on the bike but it's the swim where you get the most for your dollar. Meaning to gain 1 or 2 min on the bike you need to spend 2-3k on race wheels or bike over the course of 1-1.5 hours. In contrast you can save that or more time with a 500 dollar wetsuit in a swim that only takes .5 hours. See the swimmers have an advantage here.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
POSTED: 7/30/09 5:33 PM

Let the record show that not ONE runner has shown hattred for a fellow triathlete.

Not one runner has threaten anyone with drowning or using another triathlete as props.

Let the record show that the swimmers are the ones that are throwing all the mud and nastiness.

Let the record show that all runners are humanitarians who only wish the best for our fellow triathlete. We just want to bring love and peace to the world yet we receive nothing but hate.

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 7/30/09 6:34 PM

Another option: Vice Versa Sprint Tri - run, bike, swim http://www.findaraceevent.com/ViewRaceDetail.aspx?raceId=7628
If only it wasn't in NJ the day before Nations.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 7/30/09 7:11 PM

And that race is an ocean swim! Ocean swims = swimmer's race.

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 7/30/09 9:00 PM

"I don't know about wearing those skin suits for a triathlon. Last year I tried one one and they are supposed to be tight. I was afraid to tie my shoes for fear of splitting my suit."

actually, one swimmer 's suit at Rome did split as he left the blocks. See -

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/07/ricky_berens_victim_of_swimsui.html

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 8/03/09 9:19 PM

Yes! (How Romantic) ::;^)::

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/03/09 9:29 PM

Ok.. I mean if we are making the race more equal, by the price of the bike, or the suit... YOU ALL KNOW WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS. Us Anatomically Compact individuals are going to need our division. You know what it's like to get out of the water, and you are cruising on the bike. Then all of a sudden some Ginormous individual like Casey or Hans yells, "On your left!!" You look left and all you see is their butt cause you can only see seat high, the rest of them are towering over you. Or you are on the run, and for every 5 steps I take, the are taking 1. I have picture of me running next to a said ginormous guy in Columbia this year for visual effect.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 8/04/09 7:35 AM

Another vote for a pee wee ... sorry, "Anatomically Compact" division!!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria