Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

bike trainer vs. rollers vs. spinning bikes
CREATED: 09/18/09 by slashykk REPLIES: 24
chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
RE: bike trainer vs. rollers vs. spinning bikes
POSTED: 11/30/11 4:42 AM

Thanks everyone! This is super helpful. Based on your responses, I'm now leaning more towards a trainer.
...and I'd love to bring in to Conte's, but no longer living in DC :(
Safe and happy winter training to all!

hrumpole    JOINED: 7/20/09    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 11/30/11 10:52 AM

If you haven't checked them out, I can't recommend the sufferfest videos strongly enough--structured interval workouts with race footage, including a recently released 2x20 set which is pretty fun (75 min). Totally different from spinervals, which drive me nuts. I now look forward to the trainer workouts. They're also half the price. The hour flies by. Other good tri-based titles are The Hunted (5min, 20 min, and sprints), Angels (10 min OU and 3x8 w/attacks) and Local Hero (series of TT efforts with attacks).

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 11/30/11 11:10 AM

The Sufferfest videos are good. Cheap too, compared to other bike videos.

Worth noting that rollers are the cheaper option. You can grab quality alloy ones from Performance for ~$160 (less during a sale), while the first real quality trainers are in the $300 range (CycleOps Fluid2 and Kurt Kinetic Road Machine).

I have both, and probably use the trainer more now. But I use the rollers to keep it fresh, which is important over a long boring winter inside. Never hurts to keep up on the bike handling skills.

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
POSTED: 11/30/11 11:28 AM

Don't rule out craigslist as well. I found a brand new trainer for $175 from a shop employee who decided against that model, and I know others have found them for the same price range and even cheaper.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 11/30/11 2:35 PM

According to Tuan, he says that WWE videos are worth their while for indoor training. I'll have to take him up on that.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria