Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Pocon Mountains Half Ironman Race Report
CREATED: 10/04/11 by JayC101 REPLIES: 1
JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 103
Pocon Mountains Half Ironman Race Report
POSTED: 10/04/11 1:00 AM

Hope everyone who did this one had a good race. Here is my report for it for anyone interested.

http://jayhcochran.blogspot.com/2011/10/pocono-mountains-half-ironman-race.html

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 91
RE: Pocon Mountains Half Ironman Race Report
POSTED: 10/04/11 6:08 PM

Nice write up Jay! That was a tough bike course. Very technical, and some tough climbs. I'm glad I wasn't in the back at the start; it was hard enough work clearing past the packs starting in the middle, much less having the whole race field in front of you.

I did have an interesting decent about 3/4 way through the ride. It was one of the long decents, with cones separating the lanes. I had a race official's motorbike near me for about 10 min at that point. There was a bit of traffic, so I was just trying to stay safe and not bombing down the road, picking my spots to pass. Well one of the guys who had been leapfrogging me earlier who I thought I had dropped up the climb comes FLYING down the left, oncoming traffic lane. He passed the race officials on the left, nearly on the other shoulder. The officials just sorta follow this group of riders to the bottom, and I figure he got lucky for not getting a penalty or even a DQ. I guess it just took some time, because they finally did hit him with a yellow card for unsafe passing as we were going up the next climb. He was cursing up a storm, and I couldn't help but chuckle. I could have sworn crossing the yellow equaled a DQ, much less passing the race officials doing it.

All in all, the race was more organized than I expected, given that it's the first year and they had to cancel the swim. At least for the competitors. It was not spectator friendly, and not local friendly. Traffic was crazy before, during and after the race.

I think I'm going to stick to flat races for a bit. At least until Savageman next year. ;)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria