Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

**open water swim -need advice**
CREATED: 08/09/13 by dingaka REPLIES: 4
dingaka's ravatar dingaka    JOINED: 8/8/13    POSTS: 3
**open water swim -need advice**
POSTED: 8/09/13 12:57 AM

I am new to the club and I would like to continue training for sprint triathlons. I found WaveOne and another site both were about $30 registration. Is that standard to swim with others? Can you direct me? I am just looking for a place inside or outside to swim with others, nothing fancy. Any guidance is welcomed. Thanks!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1285
RE: **open water swim -need advice**
POSTED: 8/09/13 8:47 AM

The available OWS options for the general public in the DC area is very limited. WaveOne is the only organization that does the organized group swim in the area on a regular basis. There are a few other groups that does it on an ad-hoc basis, but it's a rarity. When it does occur, folks will normally post it here on the forum.

If you are looking for a place to swim with others indoors, try the DCTri master swim program. They have a pay-per-play admission or monthly passes. Everyone in there is a DCTri member. It's a lot cheaper than $30 per swim :)

You can try Sandy Point in Annapolis. It's brackish water of the Chesapeake Bay. Sometimes the water is glass smooth, sometimes it's wavy like the ocean. A few people in the club have season passes there. It's $5 to enter per visit, if you don't have a season pass. Depending when you leave, the drive could take you between 35-60 minutes from Arlington.

They have swim buoys there that are very nice. You'd think that they set them up that way to attract open water swimmers :) It's a public beach, with lifeguards at certain hours. The beach goers don't go out beyond the buoys lines because they are too deep to stand. It's pretty much all swimmers who loop the buoys. The buoy line is about 400 meters from one end to the other.

--Tuan

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1713
POSTED: 8/09/13 1:32 PM

And, of course, there's the club's training sprint tri this Sunday at the Potomac's Mason Neck.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 419
POSTED: 8/10/13 8:08 AM

Thanks Ed.

In fact we actually have a OWS clinic open to those that do the training tri (already closed) or the OWS only (for a $10 fee, for which you can register on-site, with no timing for the OWS). We are planning to start the clinic at 10 AM and the OWS only wave will be going off between 8:15 - 10:00. This event is tomorrow.

If you are doing the training tri or the OWS only swim, please register for the OWS Clinic >> HERE on Eventbrite<<

Also, here is a great link on sighting from this month's Triathlete magazine on sighting:
http://triathlete.com/howtosight

>> Here << is a map of the race venue for Sunday.

-Brady

IronMike's ravatar IronMike    JOINED: 6/11/13    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 8/15/13 8:06 PM

dingaka,

Mason Neck state park is not too far out of town, south on US 1 about 15 or so miles. Weekend per car entry is four bucks. The car-top boat launch has a little beach from which you can swim. Once you clear the 20-30 yards of vegetation, the water clears.

BEWARE: Don't swim alone. There are boats out there. So far they've seen me and/or avoided me, as I wear a very bright swim cap. Best to get someone else to swim with. N.B., the rangers won't care that you're swimming, but if the swimmers look like a group, then they'll ask you to pay fees and register as a group.

You can do some serious mileage in that lake. Note that it is part of the Potomac, so it is moving water, e.g. not standing lake water.

BUT, I would recommend joining the Masters Swim Program of DC Tri first. Of course, I'm one of the coaches, so I am biased. ;)

Welcome to the club!
Cheers,
Mike

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria