2012 PeasantMan Registration is now **OPEN**
POSTED: 3/01/12 9:30 AM

=====================================
PEASANTMAN
http://www.highcloud.org/peasantman
http://www.facebook.com/peasantman
=====================================

Hello People who are about to do the naughty stuff on billable hours,

Every once in awhile the universe opens up and a beacon of light shines upon us. Back in 'Nam, at the re-education camp, we call it Uncle Quang and his flashlight looking to whoop the place where the sun rarely shines for you. The dialog usually goes something like this:

Young child: "Is that a beacon of light from the heavens that I see?"
Older child: "No dumbass! That's Uncle Quang and his flashlight."

Oh man, I miss the motherland, the smell of the Mekong, and the residue of Agent Orange. You Americans are so lucky; you know what it's like to have two testicles at birth. Enough with the pleasantries, I'm here to tell you more about the one-of-its-kind event known as PeasantMan.

*** REGISTRATION IS NOW OFFICIALLY OPEN! ***

As many of you know, PeasantMan sold out last year. The only thing hotter than one of our slots is a Vietnamese royal wearing a crown. There's an old Vietnamese proverb that goes something like this, "vote early, vote often!" I urge you, my fellow Americans, to register for this event early ... and register often.

The registration link can be found at http://www.highcloud.org/PeasantMan.

Please keep in mind that we are doing this to raise money for charity. There are no refunds, transfers, or deferments. High Cloud is a a Non-Profit 501(c)-3 Organization. Your entry fees and donations are tax exempt!

People! Let's occupy Lake Anna!

=============
COME ON HOME
=============

For those who did our event last year, particularly those of you who did this as your first ever triathlon, I urge you to come back home to where it all started. Come back to that magical place where you were more than just a Vietnamese. Relive that one special moment in time when the world was pure and righteous ... and when the mere sight of holy water didn't scare the Vietnamese out of you.

Come on home. Let's hold hands and sing the below song together as we enjoy the evening camp fire overlooking the sunset at Lake Anna. If this doesn't move you then you are probably emotionally dead inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYFHAvULvJ0

=======================
PEASANTMAN BACKGROUND
=======================

For those of you who were born yesterday, PeasantMan is a practice triathlon that occurs every year at Lake Anna, Va. It consists of an open water swim, bike, and run within the confines of Lake Anna State Park. There will be Sprint and Olympic distance options. Since it is a practice triathlon, you are free to mix and mingle the distances that you are comfortable with. We will provide lifeguard and kayak support in the open water, SAG and mechanic support for the bike, and water station support for the run.

Every year 25% of our participants are first timers --that means, for those of you who went to public schools-- those who are trying out the sport for the first time. It is an opportunity for them to practice their craft prior to their first race. For many of them, it is the first time that they've racked their bike in a real transition area and the first time that they've done an open water swim with swimmers looking to molest them during the "scrum" of a triathlon.

The rest of the field consists of veteran triathletes looking for an early social activity or event to hone in their skills. The mixture include folks training for other Sprint, Olympic, half IM, and IM races later in the season. We will have free organized bike rides of 40-112 miles the day before PeasantMan at Lake Anna to assist with their training. And, we'll have a ton of "camp followers" --volunteers, friends, and family members of the participants.

=====================
PEASANTMAN EXPERIENCE
=====================

As part of the PeasantMan experience, below are just some of the items that we have planned for this year's event. We are turning this into a weekend of activities. It will be a party and training camp type of atmosphere.

1. Free, organized group bike rides along the Kinetic Triathlon bike course the day before the event. The rides will be 40-112 miles.

2. Free Georgetown Cupcakes at the finish line of PeasantMan. We have secured $2,000 worth of Georgetown Cupcakes! This means that if you don't register, we will be down $2,000 worth of Georgetown Cupcakes.

3. Bike and open water swim clinic the day before. For those training for IMs and HIMs, this will be an excellent opportunity to swim among other swimmers in an open water swimming environment. This is fully supported with kayakers, lifeguards, and marked buoys.

4. BBQ after the events on Saturday AND Sunday.

5. Free Crossfit clinic.

6. Free finish line swag. We gave away free PreasantMan beer pint glasses last year. What's in store this year?

7. Free bagels and other breakfast items at the start and finish line.

8. Free random prizes.

9. Free wet suit rentals for the open water swim the day before the event.

10. Organized wine tasting trip to a nearby winery.

11. Green cards. 'Nough said.

=============
HIGH CLOUD
=============

Please keep in mind that this event would not occur without High Cloud Foundation. Every penny that is raised in this event goes to High Cloud. All those who make PeasantMan happen do not collect any wages or fees. We are all volunteers with passions for triathlons and volunteerism.

High Cloud's vision is to help alleviate world poverty for the vulnerable among the children, orphans, families and mothers who are victims of violence or natural disasters occurring throughout the world. The High Cloud Foundation has ongoing Humanitarian Activities in countries such as: Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Macedonia, United States, the Middle East, Kenya, India, among others.

===========
QUESTIONS
===========

If you have any questions, please free to contact me at PeasantMan@highcloud.org, post here in this forum, or post on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/PeasantMan). Our Facebook page will always have the latest and greatest PeasantMan info. Lastly, we need volunteers! Please send our volunteer coordinator, Becky, an email (rah.2774@gmail.com) if you can help out.

Again, register quickly or risk hearing your friends talk about it incessantly!

Tuan, a very humble descendant of Vietnamese royals
http://www.highcloud.org/peasantman

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
RE: 2012 PeasantMan Registration is now **OPEN**
POSTED: 3/05/12 6:56 PM

PeasantMan has officially sold out. YEAH!!. We are going to reconvene the PeasantMan War Council to see if we can open up a few more Community fund slots ala the Ironman Community fund. Don't worry though, we don't plan on charging you your first born for it.

A sincere thank you to everyone who has signed up to support the High Cloud Foundation and PeasantMan.

We still need volunteers so please help out if you can. Drop me or Becky (rah.2774 at gmail dot com) and email if you or your friends can help out.

Thanks
Tuan
number55555 at yahoo dot com

POSTED: 3/08/12 7:15 AM

Hello Simple Minded People,

The most sterile Vietnamese in America here with another riveting message for you during billable hours. When I say sterile, I don't mean in a physical sense, that would be just plain wrong. I mean sterile in a metaphoric sense. To all of the young ladies out there, I'm sterile metaphorically. Physically, two of my boys are prosthetic while the other three are fully operational. Good 'ol Agent Orange. Thank you America and your contribution to Vietnam ... but enough with the pleasantries.

For the third year running, PeasantMan has sold out. On behalf of this entire planet and Uranus, I would like to express our sincere gratitude to everyone who has signed to support the High Cloud Foundation via PeasantMan. My original plan of sprinkling holy water on you in T1 will now need to be altered. Don't thank me. Thank humanity. I often go into deep thoughts during billable hours about my greatest failing ... that I'm generous to a fault. Yes, it does hurt sometimes to be this humble.

===========================
COMMUNITY FOUNDATION SLOT
===========================

To meet the higher than expected demand for this event, we have set up the High Cloud Foundation Community slots ala the Ironman. Did we steal this idea from the Ironman folks? Of course not. How can one possibly steal an idea? That's like stealing air.

Anyway, we've open up a limited number of community foundation slots. These slots are the normal priced slots + $10. If you want to do PeasantMan this year, sign up quickly or they will be gone. Once they are gone, they are gone ... kind of like an idea.

The community foundation registration link can be found at http://www.highcloud.org/PeasantMan

Also, to see more of the great work that we do locally and globally to help communities in need, please visit our High Cloud Ning Site at: http://highcloud.ning.com/. Thanks so much for participating in High Cloud's races and events! It really makes a big difference -- for instance, we just had a mini-5k for the kids in South America and gave them the IronMan and Marathon medals that many people donated. Also in the past month, we successfully established a bakery micro-finance program for single mothers who have been displaced by violence and natural disasters. Very meaningful. Now these women are self-sufficient and can support their kids. So have no doubt that being part of the PeasantMan experience, you are making a huge impact!

=============
VOLUNTEER
=============

Ever wonder what it's like to be a Vietnamese for a day? Volunteer your significant other and children. Don't forget the children! They are our future, so work their asses off. You know that they'll send you to the nursing home at their first opportunity. Worse, they'll want to go to a small private liberal arts college and suck your retirement funds dry. Instead of fine dining at some fancy smancy restaurant during your retirement years, you'll be fine dinning at the local IHOP with a Vietnamese who thinks he's royalty. Now is the time to get your licks in.

Please send our volunteer coordinator, Becky, an email (becky@highcloud.org) if you can help out. Or better yet, complete this survey http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RKP6PHW to tell her what types of volunteer activity you would be interested in.

Tuan, I'm so generous that it hurts.

POSTED: 3/21/12 11:51 AM

Hello Vietnamese Haters,

Vietnamese Royalty here to once again introduce you to culture. I know what you are thinking. You are probably thinking, "I thought the CIA spoke to him last week. What the heck is he still doing on U.S. soil?" Well, I don't need to converse to the CIA to know how much I'm appreciated. The super-glued toilet seat I found in my master bedroom this morning speaks volume. I don't need the seat to be up anyway. I'm a single Vietnamese male. I pee sitting down. Again, don't hate me. Hate Agent Orange ... but I'm not here to bash the CIA. Why would anyone want to bash Peace Corps volunteers?

*** limited community fund slots are still available at Click Here ***

================
ON SITE CAMPING
================

For those who have not done so, please consider reserving your campsites, bunkhouses, and cabins now. Last year the entire Lake Anna campground was fully booked by PeasantMan participants. It was actually pretty cool to see people sleeping on dirt at $25 per weekend while their $10,000 carbon bikes were safely stored away in a cushioned car.

Due to the wild barracuda population at Lake Anna, I'd asked that you open up your led heart and take in fellow PeasantMan campers. It's no fun camping alone, especially with wild barracudas on the loose. Just post a message on our Facebook page if you have space to spare, or go there if you are looking for spots.

You can reserve an on-site spot by either calling Lake Anna or through the below URL. Spots will go quickly since there are many of you and not many spots at Lake Anna. I encourage you to book quickly.

URL: https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Lake_Anna_State_Park/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=VA&parkId=140175&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Phone: 800-933-7275

There are three camping options available.
1. Campsite: This is pitching a tent old school. There are restrooms and showers nearby. Each campsite can easily fit 4 tents.

2. Camp Cabin. This is just a cabin with bunk beds. The restrooms with showers are in a different building nearby. It can accommodate 6.

3. 2 bedroom cabin suite. These all are gone but you can periodically check to see if they have any that just became available. That's how I was able to get mine.

All other details about the camping can be found in the URL that I just provided.

========================
OTHER ACCOMMODATIONS
========================

Christopher Run Campground - 540-894-4744
About 15 minutes from the race site. Located off of 522 on the Kinetic Half bike course.

Hotels

Sleep Inn-Located at I-95 and US 1
540-710-5500
5400 Southpoint Blvd
Fredericksburg, VA 22407

Quality Inn
6409 Dan Bell Lane (Exit 118)
Thornburg, VA
540-582-1097

Lake Anna Lodge-(At the lake)
5152 Courthouse Road (Rt. 208)
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
540-895-5844

High Point Marina & Lighthouse Inn-(At the lake)
4634 Courthouse Road
Mineral, VA 23117
540-895-5249

Shenandoah Crossing Resort
174 HORSESHOE CIRCLE
GORDONSVILLE, VIRGINIA 22942

There are multiple lake houses for rent this time of year.
Lake Anna Realty-800-830-2662

Please feel free to ask me any questions. I may or may not answer you.

Tuan

SagunaH's ravatar SagunaH    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 3/22/12 11:43 AM

I'm looking forward to another fun year!

POSTED: 4/18/12 9:14 AM

We have only a handful of Community Fund Slots left. They are only $10 over the normal priced ones. Get them before they are all gone.

For the NTP Class 2, please consider volunteering for this event. Not only will you be with several hundreds DCTri folks, but this will afford you the opportunity to see what a triathlon is like from the participants' part of view. You will get to hang around the transition area to witness the transition set up. You will see firsthand what it's like to be part of a mass swim start. Opportunities like these do not happen every day.

We are planning a NTP Class 1/Class 2/PeasantMan happy hour that include packet pickup. You can volunteer to distribute the packets at the happy hour. It's an excellent opportunity to meet other people in the club. Any questions, please feel free to email me,

To volunteer, fill out this survey

Tuan

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 4/18/12 3:03 PM

What's the likely water temps? Trying to avoid wearing my wetsuit while on my paddle board watching you all swim : )

POSTED: 4/18/12 6:53 PM

Maureen,

The water temp last year was about 68 degrees. I think that that lake is shallow enough that a week long cold/warm spell can affect it. For example, everyone who did Rumpass last year complained about how cold the water was. When PeasantMan occurred 2-3 weeks later, the water temp was perfect.

Tuan

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 4/19/12 10:10 AM

Ok - that is warm enough for Clare (11 yo daughter) to get her butt out of bed at 5:30AM and get on her SUP to monitor the swim with me. I haven't even told her about the $2000 worth of G-town cupcakes.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria