Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

What size car needed to drive with a bike?
CREATED: 05/25/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 6
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
What size car needed to drive with a bike?
POSTED: 5/25/10 12:25 PM

I don't have a car but I'll need to rent one for Eagleman. Can you carry a tri bike in a standard 4-door sedan? Or do you really need a separate bike rack or an SUV? I'd like to avoid renting an SUV if possible.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: What size car needed to drive with a bike?
POSTED: 5/25/10 12:28 PM

If you take the wheels off, you can likely fit it in the back seat of a standard 4 door sedan - just watch the chain grease on the seats. I have my doubts on whether you would be able to get it in a trunk even with the wheels off. Maybe there is a hatch back available?

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 491
POSTED: 5/25/10 12:38 PM

I have a small hatch back (Scion XA) and can fit my bike with just the front wheel off.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/25/10 12:42 PM

unless you have a large bike, 60 and above you can usually fit most any bike in the back seat of a civic with both wheels taken off and using something like an old comforter or blanket underneath the bike so that grease doesn't get on the seats.

if you have one fo the larger bikes well others can chime in on that.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 5/25/10 12:53 PM

I have a 2 door honda civic and I fit it easily into the backseat by just taking the front wheel off.

Remember to buckle up!

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 233
POSTED: 5/25/10 2:03 PM

Be careful with the chain and grease, it can be a PITA to get that out of seats. Or, you could just ask someone for a ride who has extra space. I'm sure there's a ton of people doing that race.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 5/25/10 2:16 PM

I have a lot of old shirts that I use for cleaning the bike. I have enough spare clean ones that I could use to cover the seat.

My bike isn't too large so it looks like I could fit it into the back seat of a 4-door.

I thought about asking for a ride but I'm staying at a hotel in Easton. The logistics might be difficult in shuttling back and forth between Easton and Cambridge for bike racking, packet pick-up and the race itself. Plus the other person would have to have a large vehicle to carry an extra bike, plus me. I'll think about it over the next week or two.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria