Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Ticketing in Chinatown
CREATED: 07/14/10 by abbyjs REPLIES: 20
abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
Ticketing in Chinatown
POSTED: 7/14/10 8:19 AM

Just saw a pedicab get dinged at 7th and H.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
RE: Ticketing in Chinatown
POSTED: 7/14/10 9:49 AM

What for? Going too slow?

Jen

POSTED: 7/14/10 9:50 AM

Ha ha. No, for disobeying traffic signals. The cyclist crackdown continues. Apparently this *is* how DC plans to fill the budget gap. ;)

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 7/14/10 10:40 AM

I can't wait until some idiot cop tries writing Mayor Fenty a ticket for rolling through a stop sign. Maybe that would put an end to this sillyness...

cvegh    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 7/14/10 11:11 AM

I am curious: when cops issue a ticket to a cyclist at, say, Hains Point, what happens if the biker does not carry an ID? Or are bikers required to carry an ID and get in trouble if they do not have an ID?? I never carry one when I bike; just wondering!! I have heard cops are very active at HP ...

Carlos.

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 7/14/10 12:12 PM

It hasn't happened to me. But I believe they just take your word that you are who you say you are.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/14/10 1:19 PM

i believe in some states that if you ride a bicycle without an ID that is another ticketable offence. but double check that.

POSTED: 7/14/10 1:27 PM

I got issued a ticket during sundays Training Tri at Haines Point for running a stop sign. I did not have my ID on me, and was silly enought to give the Park police officer my real name. I called the Park Police office and they have no record of the ticket, which is a good thing b/c I promptly placed it inside a trash can after it was issued. On a side note, there is no need to carry your ID, as long as you keep a set of these with you: http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1147359/2/istockphoto_1147359_funny_glasses.jpg

POSTED: 7/14/10 2:31 PM

I wouldn't give a federal gov't cop a fake name to get out of a $50 ticket

POSTED: 7/14/10 4:00 PM

I spoke to a guy who was ticketed on HP last week Wednesday, and he said it was only $25. Not that I'm saying a $25 ticket doesn't stink...

not that I'm encouraging people to blow through stop signs...

I'll be interested to see if the coppers are out early tomorrow AM on HP! Silly cops interrupting my loops... grumble grumble... ;)

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1319
POSTED: 7/14/10 10:38 PM

I saw the Park Police give out tickets to 4 different bikers today at around 3:00 PM. Thanks to this forum, I wasn't one of them since I unclipped and got off the bike at that stop sign.

On a side note, as I was straddling my bike next to some cars on Ohio Drive trying to adjust my aero bottle, a Park Police car came up behind me and buzzed me with his siren horn. I was to the side of the road and about 6 inches next to the parked cars. After the cop buzzed me, he slowly drove by and yelled out of his window "get off the road!" I was like "really!?!" He didn't even stop. He just drove by slowly and yelled out the window.

I think that at the rate things are going around there, they may be ticketing bikers for riding on the road instead of the sidewalk.

Tuan

mildmanneredreporter's ravatar mildmanneredreporter    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 7/15/10 12:00 AM

I just checked the DC and Federal laws and regs on licenses (because I have nothing better to do). You don't need a driver's license to operate a bicycle in DC. Same is true in Nat'l Parks within the borders of DC. Having said that, though, if you do get stopped, probably not a good idea to lie about your ID to the cops. False statement to a DC police officer is a misdemeanor - $1,000 fine and 6 months in jail. False statement to a Fed is a felony. Even if the underlying offense is as silly as running a stop sign. Remember Martha Stewart?

Gary

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/15/10 10:10 AM

tuan if that was really the case you really should file a complaint to the dc parks department with the cars number and tell them they are recklessly harassing any park user even parks users not breaking the law and ask to have the park person fired.

Then make a call to the mayor's office and tell him the parks department is doing a shabby job.

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
POSTED: 7/15/10 11:41 AM

They were giving us a hard time on Sunday during the training tri. The cop drove by slowly and asked me what (as he waved his hands at the bike) this all was. I explained to him we were having a training event and he just smirked at me, looking completely pissed off. He then asked me about how long we were going to be, told him a couple of hours, he lingered around for a while and then drove off after saying, make sure they stop at the stop signs. They really really are after us now!

POSTED: 7/15/10 11:47 AM

Ugh. As if biking in the city weren't difficult already. I bike commute at least 3 days a week (lately up to 5!) because I live about 1.5 miles from work, and it's really the fastest way. I beat Metro and the bus by at least 10 minutes.

I know the point of all of this is safety, but sometimes in rush hour traffic, getting a head start off the red light seems safer! I know, I know... who wants to flame me for that comment? :)

POSTED: 7/15/10 11:52 AM

It would be nice if for once, just one of the Park Police Cops would worry about the cars driving 50 MPH up and down ohio drive instead of pestering the cyclist they are paid to protect. Its a Federal Park for christ's sake, not a drag strip. Ugh.

POSTED: 7/15/10 1:16 PM

I know a lot of people get upset when cyclists don't follow traffic laws.

But can't we have one place in the whole frickin' city where we don't have to follow rules designed for cars. A bike is not a car. And Haines Point isn't New York Avenue.

I just want one spot where I can workout uninterrupted. Bike paths have runners and commuters. Streets have cars.

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 7/15/10 2:17 PM

Hey kids giving a fake name to a federal officers, ie Park Police is a felony under 18 USC sec. 1001. This law is broadly applied to any false statement, even one done in jest, that could deceive a federal agency in the performance its duties, such as the Park Police enforcing traffic laws in a federal enclave or National Park. The penalty is a fine or 5 years in prison or both.

POSTED: 7/15/10 3:05 PM

finnegan, your statement has only one true flaw... "that could deceive a federal agency in performance of its duties.."

Last I checked, the US Park Police don't actually perform any duties. Zing.

hmooney    JOINED: 9/30/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 7/15/10 3:31 PM

Reading over the posts, first of all knowing they're being bozo's I'd let them figure out what's going on (obviously they don't have a clue) especially since all we're trying to do is get in a workout and all they are doing is looking to ticket, let them figure it out. Second, if they are dumb enough to ask for your information w/o requiring proof they get what they get. Lastly, a judge would throw out the mess in the first place and if it didn't get thrown out and laughed at those are max fines for non trivial things...thanks Dad.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria