Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

wilson Pool finally opening
CREATED: 07/31/09 by jpdavis REPLIES: 14
jpdavis's ravatar jpdavis    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 26
wilson Pool finally opening
POSTED: 7/31/09 9:10 AM

Great news... Wilson High school Pool finally opening next week, It will have 25 AND 50 capabilities, It is about time! (it closed in 2003)

amcbride    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 40
RE: wilson Pool finally opening
POSTED: 8/03/09 12:36 PM

Any news on Wilson Pool opening?

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 177
POSTED: 8/03/09 12:59 PM

Sweet action! The old pool building was falling down when they finally closed it. The new facility is amazing! I live a few blocks away... can't open soon enough!

Where did you get the final word on the opening date? I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone!!!

postie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 8/03/09 1:15 PM

I live in AU Park, and received the message below on my neighborhood listserv. Looks like the pool opens on Thursday. Not sure about its hours.

Wilson Aquatic Center

Hi Folks,

I am so sorry for the last minute change, but we have to change the ribbon
cutting at the new Aquatic Center to Thursday of this week. I will submit
another post shortly to provide details about the ceremony as well as new the
new facility. Again, sorry for the short notice.

Michelle Fox
Mayor's Office of Community Relations and Services
michelle.fox@...

POSTED: 8/07/09 8:39 PM

I went to see Wilson Pool today.... Unbelievable facility. Only one person in entire pool (that will probably change once the word gets out). They had it set for 50 meters, not sure if it will always be that way. There is also direct access now to Wilson track.... not sure yet what the guidlines are for public use of the track. The hours of the pool are going to be 6 AM- 9 PM during the week and 12-5 (I think) for the weekends.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 8/10/09 12:47 PM

Today's WPost article on it:

http://reachforthewall.com/2009/08/09/in-the-nick-of-time-a-new-place-to-splash/

"In the Nick of Time, A New Place to Splash
By James Hohmann

As temperatures rose above 90 degrees, three families had the kids’ pool at the cavernous Wilson Aquatic Center to themselves just after noon Sunday.

District officials hope that the $34.7 million facility, which the mayor opened Thursday during a ribbon-cutting ceremony, won’t stay secret for long. Swimming lessons and master’s practices officially begin Monday.

A short walk from the Tenleytown-AU Metro station in Northwest, the 54,765-square-foot facility has four indoor pools that are open year-round. It’s free for District residents, and nonresidents can purchase daily and monthly passes.

There is a 50-meter racing pool, where the Wilson High School swim team will practice, that includes bleachers for spectators. On Sunday, a man swimming laps had eight lanes to himself.

The pool for children — with a sloped, beachlike entry — has buckets that fill up and dump on youngsters who stand below. The leisure pool is warmer than the others so that toddlers learning to swim won’t squirm as much when they jump in.

Feseha Woldu, 50, of the District, brought along his two sons and expects to use the facility two or three times each week.

“It’s a great addition to the quality of life in D.C.,” Woldu said as his 5-year-old son, Hennok, frolicked in the three-foot-high spray fountain.

For adults, there’s a whirlpool. Bill Ragan, 82, had a stroke five years ago but loves to get in the water as much as he can. He praised the new facility for being wheelchair-friendly and having ample changing room space.

“We’ve watched this thing get built,” said Ragan, who lives a few blocks away, as he sat in the whirlpool next to his wife.

Employees hope to attract whirlpool users like Ragan and athletes training for meets. The facility offers water aerobics, scuba diving lessons and lifeguard training.

“They had everyone in the community in mind when they designed this,” said facility manager Cecilia Washington. An old pool facility on the Wilson High School campus that had opened in 1978 was demolished as part of the project.

Natalia Pane, 39, lives in the Woodley Park area with her two daughters. She has been paying the neighborhood rate to use the hotel pool at the nearby Marriott Wardman Park, but she now plans to use the free facility instead.

“We just went to a water park last weekend, and this is just as good,” Pane said. “Now please just say, ‘D.C. has done the planning and has the resources to maintain it.’ ”

Ximena Hartsock, the acting director of the District’s Department of Parks and Recreation, which will manage daily operations, said that in the past, some new facilities were not well maintained but that the city will perform the necessary upkeep.

As of Sunday, the chlorine odor still had not overpowered that new construction smell."

BTW, the location is near the Tenleytown metro, above AU and Cleveland Park.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Wilson+High+school+Pool+washington+dc&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,7081541118369410068&ei=AU6ASuOcGJLoMdKi_OQC&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 131
POSTED: 8/10/09 1:41 PM

from the website calendar it looks like they have a masters group starting tomorrow - has anyone signed up or gotten more info they'd care to share?
Trisha

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 8/11/09 4:28 PM

Went for a swim over lunch at the new Wilson pool. It is beautiful! I swam in a 50 meter lane by myself. Remember to take DC photo ID (they are checking) and a lock for your stuff in the locker room.

kristenf    JOINED: 6/10/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 8/11/09 4:30 PM

I'm heading over to check out the Wilson pool and do a swim work out. I'll be there around 6p.m. and plan to do about 3k if anyone wants to join me.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 8/29/09 3:02 PM

Be careful. From this week's Georgetown Current:

"Since the new pool opened, there have been seven reported thefts from the locker room."

ursalilah    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 8/30/09 9:36 PM

While everyone should still be careful, the locker rooms are staffed with security guards from open to close. When I asked the female guard she said they would be there indefinitely.

bobf's ravatar bobf    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 8/31/09 9:58 AM

Does anybody know any details about the Masters team that trains at this pool? I just called the pool and they didn't have too many details about practice times, etc.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 8/31/09 12:57 PM

Go to: www.arlingtonmasters.org

A friend swims with them. Seems like a good workout group and they hold stroke clincs, just they start so very late... 8:30 pm!

hilarysmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 8/31/09 1:19 PM

Here's the link to the DCRP Masters times at Wilson - looks like it's starting up on September 8:

http://www.swimdcrp.org/pools/

POSTED: 8/31/09 3:56 PM

the DCRP masters program at Wilson is no longer taking any new memebers

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria