Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Wakefield Road Rides begin March 10th!
CREATED: 03/04/09 by nicoleshue REPLIES: 1
nicoleshue's ravatar nicoleshue    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 136
Wakefield Road Rides begin March 10th!
POSTED: 3/04/09 8:44 AM

Believe it or not, the Wakefield road rides will resume next Tuesday, 10 March.

This is a well-established ride that's been going on for at least a decade. The rides are normally held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Once we start getting enough daylight, the rides will begin at their usual time (sometime around 6:10 pm), but for now, they will be starting at 5:30 pm.

The rides begin and end at Wakefield recreation center (also known as Audrey Moore rec center). Riders meet in the first lot on the left, by the softball fields. If you reach the main rec center with the pool and tennis courts, you've gone too far. Here's a link:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/maps/parkmaps_moore.htm

The ride is on the streets of north Springfield and Annandale. The complete ride is 25 miles long. After 16 miles, the ride goes past the rec center, providing a convenient opportunity to bail early if you want a shorter ride. The first part of the ride is fairly flat with a few rollers, while the second part has a bit more climbing.

There is a good range of speeds on the ride, ranging from the speedy leaders on down. I'm almost certain you can find a person or a group to ride with.

And that means that there's a good chance you'll be riding in a pack. A road bike is recommended, but you can do this ride on a triathlon or time trial bike as long as you don't plan on using your aerobars.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Wakefield Road Rides begin March 10th!
POSTED: 3/05/09 6:48 PM

Hey thanks for the info. I live right near there. Maybe when i get in better shape I can ride there and back to add extra miles.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria