Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

C&O Canal Trail - DC to Cumberland ~ 185 miles
CREATED: 09/19/09 by jpacovich REPLIES: 7
jpacovich's ravatar jpacovich    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
C&O Canal Trail - Cumberland to DC ~ 185 miles
POSTED: 9/19/09 6:22 AM

Anyone every ride the entire C&O canal trail from Cumberland to DC in a day?

It's ~185 miles and I'm thinking about giving it a try in mid-late October if anyone is feeling adventurous. Logistics haven't been worked out yet and I'm just tossing the idea around at this point.... weather should be beautiful though, so that's encouraging!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 964
RE: C&O Canal Trail - DC to Cumberland ~ 185 miles
POSTED: 9/19/09 9:42 AM

I've never considered doing the whole C&O in a single day. That'd be a tough especially given the surface and the detours and the rough areas. I've thought about doing it in 2 or 3 days. Either camping out, which would mean bringing tents and gear, or hotel roughing it. I'd probably suggest going Cumberland to DC, that way there's no long commute home at the end. :)

If you do it in 2 days, the best bet would be stopping at the 100 mile post in Williamsport. There's a Red Roof Inn there, but nothing else until the 75 mile post. If you do it in 3 days, the best bets would be stopping in Hancock (125 mile post) and Harpers Ferry (60 mile post). If you camp out, then your options are much larger, but that means extra gear and that will slow you down.

POSTED: 9/19/09 12:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Err yes, I meant Cumberland to DC - excellent point! Breaking the trip up would definitely make things more enjoyable, rather than biking non-stop for 16 hours (talk about saddle shock!).

I definitely want to time the ride to coincide with the foliage change but one of my buffers is a marathon (weekend before) so, i'd likely have to see how this all plays out.

Back to planning!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/19/09 12:48 PM

well there is a total 200 and its on road, this can be the total "almost 200 offroad" that would be good.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
RE: C&O Canal Trail -
POSTED: 9/19/09 8:49 PM

I'm confused, how are you gonna get to Cumberland? I'd be up for a one day long ride, but not spending nights

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 964
POSTED: 9/19/09 10:02 PM

You'd just have to convince, sweet-talk, or canoodle a friend into shuttling you and your bike up to Cumberland. Then they drive back and you see them again in a day or two or three.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 9/20/09 11:13 AM

Why hold yourself to only 180 miles... take the train to Pittsburgh, hop on the GAP trail to the C&O and on to DC. Easy 315 miles... =)

http://www.atatrail.org/

Andy

POSTED: 9/20/09 11:27 AM

ATA sounds like fun but I definitely don't have time for that right now - and 315 miles is a bit over the top for me for one weekend of cycling!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria