Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

ITU San Diego 2013-Nat. Club Championships-Anyone Going?
CREATED: 11/03/12 by dalutz REPLIES: 12
dalutz's ravatar dalutz    JOINED: 3/13/10    POSTS: 34
ITU San Diego 2013-Nat. Club Championships-Anyone Going?
POSTED: 11/03/12 4:32 PM

It looks like the USAT National Club Championships are in San Diego again next year. Is anyone planning on going? The date is April 20th for the age group race. Could be a good early race option.

SeishiDar's ravatar SeishiDar    JOINED: 4/22/10    POSTS: 24
RE: ITU San Diego 2013-Nat. Club Championships-Anyone Going?
POSTED: 11/27/12 11:21 AM

I would be ALL for this especially with the new bike course but the price ($600-800) for shipping my bike out there is prohibitive. If there was a way to subsidize the bike I'd be in in a heart beat.

mmerson's ravatar mmerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 11/27/12 9:49 PM

I don't think it was the USAT National Club Championship this year. We wanted it to be but they gave it to another event. Ithey cooked up an international city club challenge of some kind but it wasn't quite the same honor. Fun but not the same.

April 20 will have some chilly water and cooler conditions for sure. It will be a great race on the ITU championship circuit with the best in the world getting going in the second event on the calendar. No Olympic Trials but great triathlon racing.

POSTED: 11/28/12 6:48 AM

Yeah, the USAT National Club Championships are in Milwaukee if I remember correctly.

As for San Diego, I lived out there and the water isn't going to be that much worse, that's why we have wetsuits! I am much more excited about the flatter course around Fiesta Island as opposed to the mountain/La Jolla crap that was full of debris on the way down. This course is probably going to be a bit more packed because of the 180s will mess with people a bit but I'm still much more excited over this course than last years.

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 235
POSTED: 11/28/12 7:49 AM

Ship the bike UPS, its $80 bucks each way give or take a few bucks. I lend out hard shell cases for $30. Not sure if your $500 was including shipping yourself out there too. Last year USAT provided the bike transport which was really nice.

POSTED: 11/28/12 9:02 AM

That cost was how much I've been charged, including with orders, to take my bike with me. I unfortunately did not buy a hardcase, I have one of the soft rolling cases. Have to consult the other half about the shipping using UPS.

dalutz's ravatar dalutz    JOINED: 3/13/10    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 12/07/12 1:00 PM

I checked the USAT website again and they are stating ITU San Diego for the Club National Championships on April 20th. Milwaukee is the Age Group Championships for next year.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/events/usat/2013/04/club-national-championship.aspx

Thats good to know about UPS. I know some airlines (mainly the non-majors) such as virgin america, jetblue and alaska airlines (which all serve san diego) its $75-100 each way to take on the plane if you have/can get a bike case. The majors will charge you $150-300 depending on the airline.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing this race let me know. I missed it last year and am highly considering it this year. Maybe if we get a big enough group again we can get a nice deal on the bike transport like last year.

POSTED: 12/11/12 1:49 PM

I and my fiancee Diane (both of us DCTri members) are all for it if some sort of special can be worked out but paying for tickets, the race and transport all together is a bit too much.

Hutchings's ravatar Hutchings    JOINED: 11/1/10    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 12/30/12 11:18 AM

I am in for San Diego. I have reserved a room at the HQ hotel, Bahia which appears to be next to the race venue. I checked with Raceday Transport (race partner) about getting my bike out there - $279 with bike being dropped off approx 10 days prior and returning 7 days post race (www.racedaytransport.com). The pickup in San Diego is at the race venue. At this point, they are taking pre-registrations with no $$ down. Perhaps we could negotiate a group rate if we have a group.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 505
ITU San Diego 2013-Nat. Club Championships
POSTED: 2/08/13 7:07 AM

Hello everyone -

This is hot off the press. Spoke to Rob Urbach at USAT yesterday and he has offered us a free bike transport deal however it also comes with a challenge.Please read here for more details and start spreading the word!

**Disclaimer**
Because this offer was recently made, the club did not make ITU San Diego a featured race in 2013 and will therefore not be spending club resources on this event. If this deal is going to come to life it will be truly member driven along with a little bit of viral marketing elbow grease. Club leadership takes no responsibility for the fate of this offer and any transactions (including race refunds) are at the sole responsibility of the individual.

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

POSTED: 2/08/13 7:30 AM

Well, I'm signed up now!

appleseed's ravatar appleseed    JOINED: 11/5/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 3/05/13 3:35 PM

Signed up a while back. Free bike transport would be a nice break considering the hotel$/flight$. Any idea how close we are to 50 people signing up?

POSTED: 3/05/13 3:54 PM

I'd love to know the status of the bike transport as well, because if we didn't get it, I will be backing out.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria