Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

bike fit
CREATED: 06/05/13 by jgoodine REPLIES: 8
jgoodine's ravatar jgoodine    JOINED: 12/31/10    POSTS: 37
bike fit
POSTED: 6/05/13 10:50 AM

I've read a lot about the different recommendations over the past few years on the forum for best bike fit in town. Ive just started training for my first HIM and my bike times have increased significantly. I am trying to decide between Smiley and SSPT. The primary motive for the bike fit is less about power and efficiency and more about pain that I'm getting with rides over 1.5hours. I'm leaning towards Smiley because his reviews are amazing, but I'm wondering if it would benefit me more to go to a physical therapist who specializes in bike fits so they can evaluate the orthopedic issues that may be occuring.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

-jess

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
RE: bike fit
POSTED: 6/05/13 10:53 AM

Yes, go to Smiley.

In the write-up that I'll be doing soon I will remark that one of the greatest benefits from having him fit me on my road/TT bikes is now a noticeable lack of pain in my back, arms, and knees/hips.

Worth it. Every penny.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 6/05/13 10:55 AM

For giving a fair appraisal, I've gone to SSPT before, too. The girl who fit me there no longer works there. It was good there, too, but my redo with Smiley made it even better.

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 113
POSTED: 6/05/13 11:05 AM

I concur. Smiley is THE BEST!!!!! I mean, really the best.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
POSTED: 6/05/13 11:08 AM

OMG - do we really need another thread on this - SMILEY - of course -
Do a search on the forum and read what everyone has said.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 6/05/13 11:19 AM

Hi Jess,

I've had fits with SSPT, Smiley and with Clovis at Freshbikes. All are great, but Clovis is the best fit for me!

He's helped when I needed to adjust my fit for a back issue, deal with saddle issues on my road bike and move to a more aggressive/aero fit on my tri bike. Point being, he's all around great.

Check whether a fit w/SSPT would be covered by your insurance if you have an injury to accommodate.

Good luck!

Andrea

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 6/05/13 11:19 AM

Hi Jess,

I've had fits with SSPT, Smiley and with Clovis at Freshbikes. All are great, but Clovis is the best fit for me!

He's helped when I needed to adjust my fit for a back issue, deal with saddle issues on my road bike and move to a more aggressive/aero fit on my tri bike. Point being, he's all around great.

Check whether a fit w/SSPT would be covered by your insurance if you have an injury to accommodate.

Good luck!

Andrea

Diablo1666's ravatar Diablo1666    JOINED: 3/4/13    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 6/05/13 11:39 AM

Smiley hands down.

He's going to give you a perfect fit and he's going to educate you.

Do your self a favor and go to Smiley.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 6/05/13 1:07 PM

I will add that I've had fits from a bunch of places on a bunch of bikes over the years, including SSPT and Fresh Bikes. Every place that I've gone to have offered to retinkle my fit after the initial fitting, for free.

If I were to purchase a new bike and need a fitting, my go to place isn't one of the ones folks have listed so far, for my own reasons. However, if I have physical ailments, I would go to SSPT above all of them, including my go to place. The reason is simple. I get to kill two birds with one stone. SSPT does fitting, pretty good one from my prior experience, but their fittings are done by professionally certified physical therapists. They can offer more insights into your issues than a regular fitter.

A regular fitter may be good with bike fittings. Good at fixing bikes. Good at a lot of things, but many of them have nowhere near the knowledge base of human physiology of a certified physical therapist. If there is nothing wrong with you, you don't need that type of insight. If there is something wrong with you then that type of insight is a good bonus.

--Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria