Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Jim McDonnell Lake Swim Roll Call
CREATED: 05/25/10 by ncrcoach REPLIES: 27
ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1065
RE: Jim McDonnell Lake Swim Roll Call
POSTED: 5/27/10 10:29 AM

Not sure if I can agree with KevMan about that, but this is a perfect race to practice siting and swimming the tangents of the course. See everyone Sunday!

bde1222's ravatar bde1222    JOINED: 7/13/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 5/27/10 10:45 AM

I agree with ncrcoach (is it Hugh? sorry, I am still fairly new and don't know everyone's name). With no waves or current like the Bay or Potomac, it is easier to swim and sight and great for first timers, and the course goes around the lake so you are always close to shore. It is not too crowded either since the heats are only 25 people at a time so you don't get kicked around as much. The heat sheets were recently posted if you want to see what wave you are in ...

http://www.restonmasters.org/jmls/

Hope to see you all out there, I am a former swimmer and wannabe triathlete so it will be nice to be more in my element amongst you great bikers.

Bryan

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1065
POSTED: 5/27/10 11:13 AM

I was checking the Reston Masters website and it states the water temerature is 78. That's baking! I'm entered in the wetsuit (sleeveless), but may opt out if that lake doesn't cool off. Also, saw that there is a possibility of a 5k swim next year on Saturday before the practice swim. Now, that looks inviting.

-Hugh.......yep Bryan, you got it right.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 5/27/10 12:49 PM

I'm in for the 2miler. 2nd to last heat.
I swam in the Lake Thoreau last night, right next to Lake Auduon, and it was about 70 degrees. My sleeveless wetsuit was perfect.
See you on Sunday!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 463
POSTED: 5/27/10 2:03 PM

Maybe for you super fast swimmers, the Reston Lake Swims are easier. But for this brick, this event is much tougher than a triathlon swim. Lots of turns, smaller (and less) buoys, smaller number of participants makes drafting and guiding off other participants harder, etc. My times are always slower than a triathlon. Nevertheless, it is great practice for the "real thing"!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1795
POSTED: 5/28/10 9:43 AM

Good idea about the bike. I'll bring mine, and see if there's any energy left afterwards.

sportsbrajen's ravatar sportsbrajen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 5/30/10 1:20 PM

Good job today especially those that did both races. Good turnout by the club today. Thanks to Hugh for bringing the tent.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1795
POSTED: 5/30/10 3:37 PM

Some unofficial age group placers, in the top five of their division, among the names recognized:

2M WS:

Katie Davison
Rookie speedster Karen Younkins
The grandly named Matias Palevecino
The aptly named Melissa Talent
John Erb

1M WS:
Double downer Katie Davison
Jennifer Werner

1M NWS:
Double downer John Erb

(And thanks to Hugh and his sister and brother-in-law for a great lunch suggestion.)

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria