Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Local Rev-3 Race Announced in Ellicott City, MD
CREATED: 01/12/12 by SeanG REPLIES: 7
SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
New Local Rev-3 Race Announced in Ellicott City, MD
POSTED: 1/12/12 4:48 PM

Hot off the press. Looks like race will be Oct. 7 in Ellicott City, MD, and it will have a Half and Full option.

http://rev3tri.com/latest-news/

Thought I would share the news, as people are planning their race schedules. Rev-3 does a good job, so will be interesting to see how this one shapes up.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 952
RE: New Local Rev-3 Race Announced in Ellicott City, MD
POSTED: 1/12/12 5:12 PM

This looks like it's just an official partnership with the Half Full Triathlon that's been going on in Howard Cty. the last few years. I didn't think that race was hurting, but it looks like this is just a partnership to boost the public outreach of the race.

They have an Olympic distance and a Half distance.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 1/12/12 6:09 PM

Nowhere on there do I see any statements that says that there is a half AND full option. The phrase "half full" is not the same as a half iron distance AND full iron distance. "Half full" is the catch phrase that this race has been using since its birth. Where do you see that since perhaps I may have missed it?

Agreed with Bryan. This doesn't look like a Rev-3 race like their other races. This is just a partnership. Perhaps it's a dry run for them to one day taking over controlling interest of the race.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 1/12/12 6:12 PM

I'll admit I didn't look very closely. It just says half full, so you are probably right its just a 70.3 distance. Not sure about the partnership vs. new race deal.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 1/13/12 8:54 AM

Raced the Half Full in its first year in 2010. It is a short half iron (70.0 miles). The swim was 1500 meters vice 1.2 miles, which definitely helped me as I won my age group!! The bike was an altered version of Columbia and the run was a little easier than Columbia but still very hilly. Overall the race was well run. Just be forewarned that the weather starts changing in October and it was cold for the race.

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 1/14/12 4:52 PM

Here's an article about the new partnership:
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/01/news/rev3-partners-with-half-full-triathlon_46042

"The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults (UCF) and Revolution3 (Rev3) Triathlon today announced a new, multifaceted partnership that establishes UCF’s Team Fight as the official national charity beneficiary of the Rev3 Triathlon Series. In addition, Rev3 has agreed to become an official partner of UCF’s annual Half Full Triathlon, donating its time and resources to help promote and produce the event. Half Full Triathlon will become an official race in the Rev3 Triathlon Series."

"The agreement marks the culmination of a three-year relationship between the organizations. Rev3 began working with UCF in 2009 in an advisory capacity for the creation of Half Full. In 2010 and 2011, Rev3 increased its involvement by providing limited pro-bono logistical and production support for the race. In 2012 and beyond, Rev3 will become an official partner, helping to produce and promote the race at no cost to UCF."

Distances:

Half 70 Mile Distance will consist of a 1-loop swim, a 2-loop bike and a 2-loop run
- Swim .9 miles
- Bike 56 miles
- Run 13.1 miles

Olympic 40 Mile Distance will consist of a 1-loop swim, a 1-loop bike and a 1-loop run
- Swim .9 miles
- Bike 32 Miles
- Run 6.5 miles

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 1/14/12 5:27 PM

It's a good course--I liked it when I did it last fall. Bike course is very tough, lots of hills. Run course is hilly too but not terrible. Definitely a course you can podium in since the field isn't huge--I had my first AG win there. As was already stated, it can be pretty cold. I was freezing waiting to go off on the swim...water was warm though, so once you got in, it wasn't so bad. I did wear long sleeves on the bike and run though.

Matt

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
RE: New Local Rev-3 Race
POSTED: 1/15/12 7:40 PM

Rev3 has been involved with the race from the beginning, even though it wasn't officially part of the Rev3 series before. In 2010, Rev3 handled the timing for the race and they had a lot of signage in the transition area. I figured that it was just a matter of time before the race became an official Rev3 race.

Definitely very hilly bike course. Cheap flip-flops are good for standing around before the swim. The dew on the grass is really cold.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria