Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nation's Triathlon and wetsuits
CREATED: 09/02/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 2
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
Nation's Triathlon and wetsuits
POSTED: 9/02/10 5:13 PM

Just an FYI for all of those racing in the Nation's Triathlon this month: It's very possible that the water temperature will be above 78F on race day. If so, wetsuits won't be allowed for those who want an official age group ranking. If you want to wear a wetsuit in those temperatures, you would probably have to move back to the final wave(s) and be ranked in a separate category.

However, if the water is really warm (84 or above), no one will be allowed to wear wetsuits. According to the latest email, the water temperature was 85 on 8/31. While air temperatures will be milder this weekend, we're going to have some hot days next week, mid 80s to low 90s. There's a very good possibility that the water temperature will be 84 or above on race day.

Bottom line: Prepare for the possibility of swimming without a wetsuit. I know this may scare some people but it's better to be ready for it mentally. If the water does cool off, then you'll be pleasantly surprised if you're able to use the wetsuit in the race.

gabroe's ravatar gabroe    JOINED: 8/27/10    POSTS: 68
RE: Nation's Triathlon and wetsuits
POSTED: 9/02/10 6:00 PM

Hello everybody, this is my first post as a member :)

I did the dc tri a couple of months ago and the weather was much more cooler the days before the race than now, we were all hoping for the wetsuits but at the last minute the water was a little above 78 (I kind of think it was 80) but anyway, honestly I dont think we will be allowed on the official age group and possibly not allowed at all. Just a thought =P I'll be there doing it and I'm super excited, good race to everyone!

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
RE: Nation's Triathlon and wetsuits
POSTED: 9/02/10 9:58 PM

The water temperature was very comfortable at the WDC Tri in June. Just as warm as a heated indoor pool. I think I'll probably forget about the wetsuit for Nation's no matter what the exact temperature is. It could get very hot in a wetsuit in these conditions. I might just go with tri shorts, goggles, earplugs and swim cap. That's what I did at WDC.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria