Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New stroke for Phelps
CREATED: 04/23/09 by tozamile REPLIES: 4
tozamile's ravatar tozamile    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
New stroke for Phelps
POSTED: 4/23/09 3:01 PM

Just saw this on Yahoo. Can I have his old one?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 am EDT

What will Michael Phelps' new freestyle look like?

By Chris Chase

The great ones always evolve. Michael Jordan added a fallaway jumper to his arsenal late in his career after his explosiveness to the basket diminished. In the 1960s Muhammad Ali was a dancer who deftly avoided an opponent's best shots. In the 1970s he willingly took punches in pursuit of victory. Tiger Woods has gone through massive swing changes twice in his career, the second of which came after Woods won four straight majors. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that Michael Phelps, the greatest swimmer who ever lived, is undergoing an overhaul of his freestyle stroke.

When Phelps returns to the pool in May at the Charlotte UltraSwim, he says he plans to debut a new freestyle technique, despite the fact that his old method helped him win five gold medals in freestyle events at the Beijing Olympics.

At a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Manhattan on Wednesday, Phelps was coy about his plans for the change:

"I'm not saying anything until we unveil it. It's a significant change. You'll be able to tell exactly what I did as soon as I take my first stroke.

I'm going to try it this year. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, I'll go back to the old stroke."

Our guess is that we'll see shorter, more steady strokes from Phelps. His freestyle has a slow, uneven turnover, with his two strokes coming quickly after one another, followed by massive underwater pulls. Obviously, it has worked for Phelps. But if he wants to become the best freestyle sprinter in the world, he may need to increase his turnover (stroke rate) and develop a more rhythmic pace.

Phelps isn't keeping his changes to the pool either. Reports say he has split from his cocktail waitress girlfriend Caz Pal and is now seeing Miss California Carrie Prejean. You may have heard of her.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
RE: New stroke for Phelps
POSTED: 4/23/09 3:12 PM

It will be interesting to see what his new stroke looks like. I'm reading his book about the 8 Olympic golds and he said that he is done with the IMs which take a toll on your training.

Wow, he is seeing Miss CA, Carrie Prejean. My prediction on her is that we'll be seeing her on FOX News within the next year. She's blonde and she's hot!

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 4/23/09 3:20 PM

Ummm, she's been all over the news ...

Okay to smoke pot but gay marriage is wrong. That's an interesting platform.

She's too thin. Maybe hanging out with Phelps will help her gain some weight, what with the munchies and all.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 4/23/09 3:52 PM

Oh Zina ... don't hate :)

I'm pretty sure Phelps' not going out with her because of her political platform :)

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 4/23/09 4:07 PM

Hey you think she's hot now ...

One minute you're dating Malibu Barbie, the next she's gone all Kumari Fulbright on you.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria