DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

DC Tri "Ironman"
CREATED: 09/19/09 by karlaj REPLIES: 32
karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
DC Tri "Ironman"
POSTED: 9/19/09 9:37 PM

DC Tri “Ironman”

I think we, DC Tri, should consider putting on our own ironman next year. There was an article on ironman.com http://ironman.com/columns/gruenfeld/lee-gruenfeld-preempts-kevin-mackinnon-with-a-look-at-how-to-make-ironman-more-affordable about this earlier last month. The skinny is to use a location like Hains Point and do laps to make the distances. There are some big advantages to doing a race this way, like *LOW* cost, only open to DC Tri, few rest stops to staff, bathroom access every loop, nearby sag, no need to close roads, and even your own gear/food to refuel. And the downside is that you’re doing a bunch of loops at Hains Point where the scenery won’t change much, it’s not M-dot nor USAT certified, and the swag might not be quite as cool.
The course would be something like:

Swim: 77.2 pool laps (3862 m)
Bike: 20 big loops (5.6 mi)
Run: 8.5 small loops (3.1 mi)

Obviously, there are myriad issues to sort out like tracking laps, medical, cutoff times, and permits. And the limit is 10-20 people/teams. But is anyone (else) interested? Is this a good/bad idea? And what name would you give this insane race?

-Jason

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: DC Tri "Ironman"
POSTED: 9/19/09 9:57 PM

deleted

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 9/19/09 10:02 PM

Jason,

The Ironman distance race is a day of celebration. It's a celebration of the journey that you've undertaken to get to a point where you can complete the distance. People who undertake the journey want to end it with a celebration like a wedding or college graduation.

What you are proposing is a day of castration :)

Tuan

dctri
POSTED: 9/19/09 10:41 PM

deleted

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 9/20/09 11:56 AM

Up to about 10 years ago or so, DC Road Runners Club used to hold a marathon on Hains Point in conjunction with a 20K & 5K. It was multiple short laps. However permitting was a problem and the marathon dropped. Recently just holding the 20K on Hains Point became a problem and the race was moved to the Capital Crescent Trial.

POSTED: 9/20/09 12:58 PM

deleted

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 9/20/09 5:03 PM

This is so crazy...it's brilliant!

This is what comes of a group of triathletes going for a little bike ride on a fine September morning.

Swim: 77.2 pool laps (3862 m)
Bike: 20 big loops (5.6 mi)
Run: 8.5 small loops (3.1 mi)

I can ALMOST wrap my head around 20 loops, and 8.5 loops. ALMOST. And 4k in the pool, totally doable!

Jason, I think you just might be on to something here! We need a committee! A committee of crazy people!

I feel a HH coming on....

POSTED: 9/20/09 6:23 PM

i think this needs to be discussed during a HH over a few pitchers of beer.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 9/20/09 7:41 PM

great idea. you could refer to it as the Buddha Man bc you'd be in a meditative state after doing 20 long bike loops :)

jpacovich's ravatar jpacovich    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 9/20/09 7:44 PM

I'm getting a bit dizzy thinking about all of the loops that'd be involved but, the idea is almost crazy enough to work!

Eric's ravatar Eric    JOINED: 8/18/04    POSTS: 275
POSTED: 9/21/09 7:58 AM

This idea has been floating around the DC Tri happy hour scene for a while.. as long as I can remember. I say go for it. But just as a sample- go out and ride 8 long loops in a row. Most people don't do more than 4 or 5 in one day for a reason- your point that it's just boring and mind numbing. Now think of 5 laps taking you about an hour to an hour and half... and then doing about 10 hours of biking/running (plus or minus depending on speed). I think you might want to call it "LoopMan". ;)

BUT all that said I'm sure you'll still get enough crazy people to jump in the fun.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 9/21/09 8:47 AM

Excellent stuff. Lots of good points being brought up. Maybe even some early interest. I'm sure we'll talk about this at the next HH, and hopefully we can make a small committee (of crazy people) to explore this just a little bit further.

I'd like to think we would decide something by the early spring so everyone could make their schedules. Since, you know, long races aren't something most mortals sign up for a week in advance.

-Jason

POSTED: 9/21/09 10:00 AM

deleted

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/21/09 10:38 AM

Swim: That's a whole lot of flip turns - at least HP is 50 m and not 25m

POSTED: 9/21/09 10:40 AM

it ain't for the faint of heart, that's for sure!

emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 9/21/09 3:22 PM

I did the marathon at HP that Kev mentions. It was my 2nd marathon and my first major bonk. Trust me - it took a long time before I could go back to HP to bike/run again because running 8.5 loops was boring. Just. Plain. Boring.

But now, to do an ultra distance at HP - you bet I'd do it. No need to buy me a drink....or 5 at a HH to get me to sign up.

Em

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 9/21/09 3:37 PM

Just thought I'd put this out there:

So far I've been in 4 races where someone has died.

Need to be careful not kill anyone, for obvious reasons...

Brad.

POSTED: 9/21/09 3:45 PM

deleted

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 9/21/09 7:17 PM

what happens if i need to walk the last 22 miles of the marathon? are the volunteers gonna stay until 2 am to watch my stuff or should i carry my bag and walk my bike around the marathon 'course'?

POSTED: 9/21/09 7:20 PM

I'd say this race shouldn't be any different than any other ironman. there would be a cutoff time. so yes, obviously, there would have to be volunteer coverage for the entire time.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria