Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

DC Tri "Ironman"
CREATED: 09/19/09 by karlaj REPLIES: 32
vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: DC Tri "Ironman"
POSTED: 9/21/09 10:14 PM

remember the original hawaii race, you as the racer had to provide your own crew and support, there was no "race support" in the modern view of things.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 9/21/09 10:36 PM

I'm pro time limits, mostly for safety sake. Rule #1 - no dying out there. For that, we should also not pick the hottest time of the year.
I also think I'd like to see it about as official as a training tri. We'll have to probe our race director and board to find out about liability, etc. That will have to be one of the first questions we answer, but no need speculating at this point.
-JK

POSTED: 9/21/09 11:22 PM

deleted

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
POSTED: 9/22/09 12:09 AM

I don't even know where to start with a response and what to say too.

emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 9/22/09 1:05 PM

I agree with Hugh's comment but I'll reply anyway first of all by saying Justin you're just talking crazy now and not making sense. I can't tell if you're taking this seriously or not while I think others are, and want to see this ultra happen. If I'm misreading what you've written then I'm sorry.
Second, I think this should happen around a seasonally friendly date where "no one will die" from the heat, but in this area you really can't predict what Mother Nature will be like any month. Third, yes keep it on the grassroots level to keep it a fun race. There are several ultra trail runs out there dubbed as Fat Ass races: no entry fee, no race t-shirt, no finishers medal, and no crying (except if you bonk). However, there are time limits, there are volunteers, there are well stocked aid stations and racers bring most of their own aid. Lastly, and what Jason already mentioned, I think it should be done like our training tris regarding liability, etc.
This can definitely be done with/without hype or whatever, but I'd definitely like to see it happen next year. I don't go to the club HHs but if any email discussions start I'd like to be part of those.

Emily
eajacobs15 at yahoo dot com

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 9/22/09 2:51 PM

Why swim in the pool? Get a permit to open up the river. If you start by the bathrooms on the Potomac side head around the point and swim up to the tennis courts that is 2.4 miles. We could use the tennis court parking lot as a transition.

If we open it up to people outside the club the biggest selling point would be the flattest long distance course ever and it is great for spectating.

RE: DC Tri Ironman
POSTED: 9/22/09 3:35 PM

deleted

good luck.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 12/16/09 12:58 PM

what if we did an oly instead? or better (no permit for pool) a 5-38-5 duathlon?

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
POSTED: 12/16/09 2:26 PM

NbeHappy, that might not be possible, but you just gave me a great idea as far as distances for a duathlon.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 12/16/09 4:51 PM

Hugh - you would make me very, very, very happy if you set up some 5 -38 - 5 training duathlons. You would make me even happier if you found a way to throw in some temporary hills at Hains Point for those training duathlons but I won't require miracles.

mtallent's ravatar mtallent    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 12/17/09 12:27 PM

Um, what time of year are you planning to do this? Does "Team in Training" ring a bell for anyone? It's a nightmare just to get in a few laps at HP weaving around the masses of people clad in purple running both directions on the road and leaving only a narrow band to pass inbetween them... although I fully support their cause, but it does not make for a good atmosphere for any "race pace" training... so it would most definitely have to be AFTER Nations.

Another thing... a distance that long will break most people's bodies down (I would think everyone but I'm sure there's some supermen out there). It would have to be at the end of the season before people go into the off-season for that reason as well. It's one thing to break your body down earlier in the season if your "A" race IM is earlier or if your periodization plan calls for 2 IMs with enough rest and recovery inbetween, but it would be a bad idea to do an IM "training" race (unless you are the aforementioned superman) if you have your primary race of the season anytime soon after that.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 12/17/09 9:02 PM

Good points. I agree w/ a post-Nations weekend. Should be cooler and less congested. And it's "training" b/c we cannot have a "race" without many many more logistics.

Incidentally, Hugh and I talked briefly about this last HH. The full 140.6 would have to be your A race. Maybe you make a brick of it and cut the run short, maybe you do a relay with some friends. No matter what, you're only out a few bucks, which beats the Mdot entry fee.

A 70.3 could be another possibility. Still long, giving folks a chance to work on pace and nutrition, but more training friendly and lower likelihood of medical difficulties. Probably several IMers could/would use it as a training day instead of having to travel to a race if we pick a good date, which might save some $$$. And you'd be done around early PM. Folks could make a relay to get their workouts in and stay for the afternoon BBQ.

I'm curious how the folks doing IMs next year would feel about the 70.3 option...
-Jason

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 12/17/09 10:43 PM

i'm not doing IM's next year but i'd rather get some 70.3 experience in a place where i dont feel the pressure of running through a cramp or a bonk.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria