Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Sandy Point Report
CREATED: 07/27/12 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 7
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
Sandy Point Report
POSTED: 7/27/12 8:02 AM

I was out at Sandy Point yesterday. They've set up orange buoys out in the water. These are pretty impressive. The way that they've been laid out resemble an open water race. I would argue that they are even better. These are big orange buoys, not the white floating ones that they normally have out there. They still have the little white ones, but these orange ones are bigger and more visible.

This is the first time that I've seen these buoys. Granted, this was the first time that I've been out there this year. I was a very very very frequent visitor of Sandy Point in years past, so I can tell you that these are new this year. I'm not sure when they started putting these out.

If you are looking to do some open water practice swim, I can't imagine a better place to do it ... and it will cost you nothing other than the park entrance fee. I'm glad that the Sandy Point Park Rangers are using my MD tax dollars for something other than to crack down on the Vietnamese population.

There is a little bit of a jellyfish population out there, but nowhere near what I've seen in the past. They sting a little bit, but no more than a sting of a Viet Cong. Or, for those of you living in the Ballston/Clarendon/Court House area, the sting is no more than your standard STD.

Tuan

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1769
RE: Sandy Point Report
POSTED: 7/27/12 9:17 AM

We worry that you apparently swam by yourself in open water.

Even swimmers of your level, such as English Channel champ Lynn Cox, would always have a friend or royal bodyguard walk the shore alongside them during workouts to watch out for anything amiss.

Did you attempt to run or bike afterwards and, if so, did the park police ban it?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 7/27/12 9:34 AM

I was never by myself. I had 3 park police rangers watching me the whole time. Apparently someone leaked my arrival. I didn't think that their guns had any bullets in them, but I didn't want to call their bluff by running and biking on THEIR property.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 7/27/12 11:22 AM

Yeah Tuan, sorry about the leak. I was concerned for your safety and don't want them banning anyone from swimming there ever again. But that wouldn't stop me. I go swimming by myself there all the time, even as early as April.

POSTED: 4/14/13 10:39 AM

Looking to head out there on Wednesday after work for my first OWS of the season. Last I heard temperatures were in the mid to high 50s, which is right on the bubble of my threshold. WIll give an update afterwards.

awf1975    JOINED: 12/10/12    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 4/14/13 7:28 PM

are there regular OW swim workouts at Sandy Point?

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1769
POSTED: 4/14/13 7:33 PM

It's more an informal thing usually, with some getting together themselves to head over there. Tho the club & partners, like Spinal Sport for instance, has had organized swims there, sometimes followed by a ride, sometimes followed by a seafood brunch. Hmm.

POSTED: 4/25/13 12:42 PM

I'm planning to head out there either tomorrow or Sunday mid-day. The temps are in the high 50s, thus long sleeve wetsuit weather.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria