Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

IM Lake Placid 2012 Race Report - I would do it again if I could
CREATED: 07/27/12 by dremilyshin REPLIES: 3
dremilyshin's ravatar dremilyshin    JOINED: 8/1/11    POSTS: 6
IM Lake Placid 2012 Race Report - I would do it again if I could
POSTED: 7/27/12 8:09 AM

Summary: Great race. Awesome scenery. Really nice people. Great support.

In depth:

Swim - I kind of freaked out because swimming not my absolute strongest leg, especially in a mass start with all 2-3000 people starting.. I spent nearly all 1:10 of my swim being kicked in the face and trying not to kick people in the face, that's a long time to be feeling freaked out, fyi, but aside from that, Mirror Lake is beautiful, I'd swim in it for fun, and it tastes like bottled water (ok, maybe not after the race...).

T1 - they have a million volunteers helping you get your wetsuit off and getting you ready for the bike. (Unfortunately my wetsuit is still difficult to get off because it is too small for me and having people help still didn't save me much time).

Bike - So I get a flat going down the first hill. 45 minutes later, after going through tubes, finding a hole (!) in my tire and having to borrow a wheel ("ok, just don't win, you'll be fine" - "really??? i just had a 45 minute penalty") I start the real race. At this point, I'm deciding to chill out and just enjoy the rest of the race, as now, I am definitely not in the running for anything. It's gorgeous. The two loop course is fairly downhill and flat in the middle with a climb coming back up. The roads are a little ravaged by Hurricane Irene and my poor elbows are still sore from that, but otherwise the course is pretty awesome. After the first loop, I think, I can do this. For you folks who have done Savageman 70.0, there are no crazy climbs here, but miles 100-112 felt really hard, way harder than miles 46-56. I just concentrated on reading the funny signs (who is Bob?) and laughing at the drunk spectators on the road, and looking for landmarks. I also got a nasty sunburn. Around the halfway mark I was able to switch bottles and tape another sandwich to my handlebars thanks to the special needs areas that were also well staffed by volunteers.

T2 - Saw my peeps. Got some sunscreen. People actually put on sunscreen for you.

Run - Having cramped big time at Eagleman and thinking that I could not survive a marathon feeling like that, I held back. I forgot to take off my heart rate monitor and ended up carrying it with me. It is slightly rolling to flat out and back course with a couple big hills. There were assortments of spectators, funny signs (run like you have to poop!), kids, and people wearing costumes along the way who were screaming my name (and then I realize... i am wearing my name on my number), including the people who had helped me with my bike several hours earlier. There was an aid station every mile, with all the standards, plus ice and sponges, and some of them had chicken broth, which was totally key. There were also several portajohns every mile or so also for which I was extremely grateful, as the stuff myself silly during the bike strategy gave me plenty of energy for the run but around mile 13 or so my GI tract started to hate me. Well... it didn't hate me that much then, as I otherwise felt great and actually better as the run went on. The weather became cloudy and cooler. The scenery stayed beautiful. Mile 24 is uphill back to town, but the rest after that feels downhill. All I could think of after that was, I'm going to finish, I'm going to finish, and all of a sudden I found myself in front of the finish line. Afterwards they have people there to hold you up like crutches. I took advantage. Then they tried to feed lactard me chocolate milk...

I was able to return/exchange my wheel at the end without any issues. I owe this mystery spectator a thank you card and a big present. One thing I can do is say, if any of you are in the Boston area, check out his store (www.fastsplits.com) and buy something :)

- Emily

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
RE: IM Lake Placid 2012 Race Report - I would do it again if I could
POSTED: 7/27/12 8:34 AM

Great job! Lake Placid is a great race and the spectators are awesome!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 7/27/12 11:32 AM

Congratulations, Emily! Thanks for the report. I'm curious to know any comments to racing Eagleman six weeks before Placid.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 7/27/12 1:51 PM

I saw Emily out there a couple of times. I can see why the hills would seem flat to someone who was running them so easily!

Congrats!

Brad.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria