DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nations Triathlon - Yes? No?
CREATED: 07/02/12 by piyushdabomb REPLIES: 4
piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
Nations Triathlon - Yes? No?
POSTED: 7/02/12 11:48 AM

Hi Everyone,

As of today, the Nations Triathlon has 97% of their slots fill up to compete in this year's race.

I'm on the fence to do it for a couple reasons:

1. It's $200. Even with the "TS15" code, it's still $185. Worth it?
2. Every year this race has problems, Yes?

My question to you, for those of who registered, is this worth it? I'm doing the Savage 100 the following week and I don't know what to do.

What's everyone thinking?

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
RE: Nations Triathlon - Yes? No?
POSTED: 7/02/12 12:13 PM

Piyush!!

You get a $25 discount if you register through the DC Tri Race web page:

http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Race.Race_Discounts

It's a great race, and this year they are committed to keeping the registrations low and running a smooth race.

I'm also doing SavageMan (*just* the 70.0 ;) ) which is why I'm volunteering at Nations this year and not racing, but I will *absolutely* be sad to miss it. I will race it next year for sure. I love this race!

--Abby

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 7/02/12 12:27 PM

As for this race having problems every year, I don't think that's true. Last year the swim was cancelled due to a big series of storms passing through the week before that really escalated the volume and flow rate of the river to where it would have been hard for even the pro's to swim upstream, but in the years prior, this race has gone smoothly and with no real issues that I remember.

The real question is whether you can recover enough after racing Nation's to have your legs back ready to do some climbing at SavageMan. That's the question you should be asking and not whether the race is worth it. If you can be fresh in less than a week, then register for Nation's. If not, then save yourself for SavageMan and come volunteer at Nation's.

Bryan

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
POSTED: 7/02/12 12:36 PM

Why race Nations if you are doing a two day race in Garrett County the next week that is tough? Seems like a recipe for a bad day at Savageman. Save the money and focus on the hills in MD.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 7/02/12 1:08 PM

Piyush Da Bomb!

I'm also on the fence. My big complaint is the shameless drafting that takes place at the Nations Tri every year. It's particularly bad way down Canal Road (where it's hard to enforce), and it's particularly bad among the elite & cadet waves (in 2010, the top 6 guys in the cadet wave flew by the elite wave in a pace line).

On the other hand, this race has historically been very well organized, and Competitor Group will produce the same high quality event again this year. It's a great course... flat & fast, and very scenic... with all of the monuments you pass, this may be the most scenic course in the area. It will have great support and a great turnout by DC Triclub. Plus, it's your only opportunity to do a triathlon in DC this year!

I'll probably register, because several good points def outweigh the one bad point. But I'd like to see the race make a committment to enforcing the drafting rules this year. I would suggest hiring the Hains Point park service police to serve as bike marshalls... they would take the job of traffic enforcement pretty seriously, and it would make people think twice about drafting!

-Luke

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria