Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Profile Design HC Mount
CREATED: 05/26/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 2
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
Profile Design HC Mount
POSTED: 5/26/10 2:55 PM

The HC Mount consists of two thin aluminum strips/bars that you mount across your aerobar extensions. Then you can attach any standard water bottle cage on that. The bottle will be mounted horizontally so that it presents a much smaller wind profile.

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration/all-hydration

Xlab sells a similar product, the Torpedo Mount, but I don't think that will fit the narrow space between my aerobars. Plus the Xlab is $50 compared to $11 for the HC Mount.

When I'm riding, I usually pull the water bottle from my seat tube-mounted cage (an Arundel Sideloader cage, which lets me pull the bottle out at an angle, instead of from the top) and then I put it on the aerobars. Then I prop it up so I can turn the spout on the Camelbak Chill Jacket before squirting some water in my mouth. The process would be much easier if I had something like the HC Mount/Sideloader set-up. Plus I need a 2nd bottle cage for Eagleman. (My bike doesn't have a down tube cage mount.)

I'll probably get the HC Mount but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experiences with it, good or bad. I've heard some complaints about the Profile Design behind-the-seat bottle cages, with bottles popping out when the bike hits a bump in the road. I don't think that would be an issue with a front-mounted system.

I don't want to get one of the front-mounted aero bottles for various reasons. First, I don't think it would fit. Secondly, it blocks more wind than a horizontal set-up would. And I don't want to use a vertical straw system where the water falls back down into the bottle.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
RE: Profile Design HC Mount
POSTED: 5/26/10 4:06 PM

If you already have the spare bottle cage, zip ties may be all you need. Also keep in mind arm clearance. I tried this, then went back to an Aerodrink because the bottle blocked too much of the aero bar ends. My Aerodrink has several tweaks to help with its drawbacks, including the straw issue.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
RE: Profile Design HC Mount
POSTED: 5/27/10 4:48 PM

Thanks. I'm going to try the zip ties this weekend. Hopefully that will be enough. Other people have told me that they've seen bikes with the zip ties and bottle cage on the aerobars.

I thought of another idea why the aero bottle/straw set-up won't work for me. I really can't drink anything when I'm in the aero position. I've tried and I can't get any water down. I have to sit up a bit to drink while on the bike.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria