DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Sandy Point Swimming
CREATED: 05/09/11 by tgrollman REPLIES: 3
tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 225
Sandy Point Swimming
POSTED: 5/09/11 3:33 PM

Hi everyone.

I heard there are buoys set up at Sandy Point at all times. Is this true? If so, what is the length between the buoys? I'd like to make sure I get in at least a 2.5 mile swim.

Thanks

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
RE: Sandy Point Swimming
POSTED: 5/09/11 5:25 PM

Yeah, the buoys are always there; they're little guys, but they're there, set parallel to shore. Use caution in not going too far outside because there are usually lots of jet skis zooming around - also be sure to not venture into the fishing area (I learned that the hard way).

Tuan worked out the distance at one point - perhaps he'll chime in - but your best bet is to plan on swimming for time, not distance. Ballpark how long it will take you to swim 2.5 miles in the pool and then swim for that amount of time.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 5/09/11 11:06 PM

I agree with the Suzuki. You should swim by time and not by perceived distance. It's too difficult to get a good measurement out there. I once asked the lifeguard what the distance was and he said about 500 yards from one end of the buoys to the other. The current and wind will occasionally blow the buoys either closer together or further away. I've seen lifeguards out there trying to readjust the placement of the buoys because they were blown one direction or the other.

For PeasantMan last year, I measured the course via google maps just to give me an idea of what I was dealing with. From the end of the beach near the rocks to the fishing area that the Suzuki referenced, is about 700 meters. However, that's google maps and I'm pretty sure it's not that accurate at the meters level.

Tuan

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 5/09/11 11:34 PM

Wait a second! I know we are not asking Tuan on his swimming expertise. Especially, if it has to do with time or distance. When it comes to him swimming we need to refer to hours, not minutes.

Btw, those aren't really buoys. They are just markers for boating, but I don't pay attention to them as I just swim out how far I want.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria