Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

NY Times Article on Swim Ettiquette
CREATED: 08/01/09 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 9
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
NY Times Article on Swim Ettiquette
POSTED: 8/01/09 1:53 PM

Someone clearly needs to post this at EVERY local pool! But, the article is a little incomplete -- you know who you are -- swim 50 yards and stop; swim 25 yards and stop. Maybe just plant your As$ in the middle of the lane where real swimmers do flip turns; maybe do the breaststroke or backstroke spontaneously on my head. Evildoers. Don't even try to defend them Vertical Swimmer.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/complaint-box-rule-breakers-at-the-pool/?hp

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: NY Times Article on Swim Ettiquette
POSTED: 8/01/09 3:50 PM

simple rule swim over people when necessary.

when in the lap lanes swim laps and go counter clockwise.

slower people go in slow lanes, faster people in faster lanes, its not hard to tell where you belong if you are honest with yourself.

pass with courtesy and do it very fast.

if the person in the lane is not following those rules and just sort of messing around in the lap lanes and not doing laps... swim over them and then when you come up to them again, swim over them again, they will learn.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/02/09 1:50 PM

Justin,

Not everyone is a rock star in the pool. There are those that are actually learning to swim and don't know the etiquette. So it's up to use, the experienced swimmers to help them out. Explain how the lanes work, as far as the fast swimmer lanes going to the slower swimmers lanes. I deal with it all the time, and have found out that a majority of them didn't know how things work in the pool. Of course there are those that persist in being a jerk, and well yeah you have to deal with them in a more assertive manor. Sometimes that being swimming over them, or getting that cheap kick in the goggles at them.

POSTED: 8/02/09 4:34 PM

First off, like anything it is up to the newcomer to try to learn the rules in anything. Also I never said you have to be a super swimmer, I said that you should new or experiences understand that you are new and should learn the rules. Also the article was directed toward to the people that are not courteous not toward slow swimmers. I have a problem with people that either totally disregard rules bc they think they are entitled to not follow them bc they somehow think rules don't aply to them even after being told the rules.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1062
POSTED: 8/02/09 5:15 PM

I know what you mean... Sometimes people who are rude and discourteous bug me too.

But I've got to side with Z on this one... it's a lot easier to educate people politely than it is to swim over them.

POSTED: 8/02/09 5:55 PM

I think you guys are missing the point. I'm all for educating people and also for people having a bit of personal responsibility too, meaning they should read signs that show swim etiquette as the article even said was at the pool. The point being be polite but there are times when that does not work. After all I'm probaby sure that everyone has learned how to self seed in a swim only after being swam over a few times you learn where you should really be. In other words the hard way taught you better than any book.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 457
POSTED: 8/03/09 7:15 AM

The problem I face sometimes is a very fast swimmer wanting to join my lane to swim in circles, which just doesn't work when the other people in the lane are very slow!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 8/03/09 8:02 AM

I seem to face just the opposite, as a "faster" swimmer swimming in the obviously marked "FAST" lane at EM, elderly and doggy paddlers jump in like its the lane at the other end of the pool...love it. Great article!

Andy B.

ssinclai's ravatar ssinclai    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 8/03/09 10:39 AM

Take a deep breath. Don't get your onesie's in a jam.

POSTED: 8/03/09 11:16 AM

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria