Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Alexandria area swimming
CREATED: 03/05/09 by Tamara REPLIES: 8
Tamara's ravatar Tamara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
Alexandria area swimming
POSTED: 3/05/09 11:30 AM

All ~ Sorry I can't search old posts and so am asking something I know is already out there somewhere...

A friend is looking to get into swimming, possibly with the goal of a sprint tri later this year. She lives in Del Ray area of Alexandria. Can anyone help me point her toward a local pool or two? I'm also giving her the info about the Curl Burke opportunity on Sunday nights since she's interest in some stroke/technique lessons as well (she learned how to swim as a kid, but hasn't done any serious swimming since then).

thanks.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
RE: Alexandria area swimming
POSTED: 3/05/09 1:30 PM

I swim at Chinquipan Rec Center on King Street. It's a 25 meter lap pool and well maintained. I

http://www.alexandriava.gov/recreation/info/default.aspx?id=12352

Then click on/scroll down to Rixse pool and click on pool schedule.

jane456's ravatar jane456    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 3/05/09 5:17 PM

The YMCA in Del Ray has a pool, but I've never been 'cause its spendy for non-members.

There's also a pool at Sport and Health in Crystal City and Bailey's Crossroad, that isn't too far away.

But I just go to Chinquipan...

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 3/06/09 10:27 AM

Chinq is the best pool in Alexandria. Just avoid Sundays after 4p as there are 2 swim teams and the masters group that take up 6 lanes - leaving only 2 lanes for lap swim. I had 9 people in my lane one Sunday afternoon and it hasn't gotten much better - then there are the "walkers." Chinq has a lap lane schedule posted on the internet (search for Rixse Pool). Check it before you go over so you don't end up frustrated. With only one public indoor pool in Alexandria and now reduced hours due to budget cuts, Chinq is getting a workout.

My swim coach sends me weekly workouts by email from MA. He'll be in town the weekend of 3/27-29 for individual coaching if anyone is interested. Email me at clarebearcolburn@yahoo.com for details.

Maureen Williams
Alexandria VA

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 3/23/09 4:11 PM

Hi Mureen,

I swimm at Chinq. in Alexandria as well. I usually go in the evenings after work. Let's meet and train! When do you usually go?

dcrainmaker's ravatar dcrainmaker    JOINED: 3/24/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 3/24/09 6:20 PM

Another option is the Lee Rec Center - just down the road on Telegraph and still in Alexandria. While I like Chinq for it's closeness, you can't beat Lee for every other category:

1) It's a full 50m pool, and has 14-18 lanes open for swimming.
2) It's open early and open late (9PM), making it easy to get into swimming
3) The lanes are slightly wider than chinq.

Also, once summer comes around, you can swim at the Old Town pool (25y, 2-3 lanes), which is awesome. Especially at $1.50. :) I think this year it opens June 19th to the public (slightly earlier for swim teams).

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 4/13/09 10:47 AM

how is the old town pool when it opens up? how many lanes are there there?

just called up the lee center, unfortunately its a 50m pool but they never set it up for long course, such a waste of a good facility.

theonly other option is hains point in the summer when that opens for long course set up.

dcrainmaker's ravatar dcrainmaker    JOINED: 3/24/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 4/13/09 2:00 PM

It's awesome. Totally awesome. It's normally setup with two lanes on the side, each wide enough to split. If it gets busy they'll add another lane if you just ask the lifeguard - they're usually friendly.

It is a bit shallow, but that's fine. The best part is clearly the...ummm..scenery...during the summer.

Also, this year, the new Charles Houston Rec Center pool will open at some point in May, and while it will also only have two lanes open (outdoors -25y), at least it'll open earlier....and it's free to city residents. Sweet!

Lastly, there is the GMU (?) (Fairfax area) 50m pool which is apparently open in the summer to anyone, but I haven't been there yet.

steph_430    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 4/13/09 2:12 PM

Like dcrainmaker, I also swim at the REC centers in Fairfax County. I usually go to Wakefield because it's 10 minutes from my house, but Lee District is very nice also. Like he says, the hours are great, and almost every time I have gone swimming I have had a lane to myself. You don't have to be a Fairfax County resident to use the REC centers. I think it's like $6 for residents and $8 for non residents, or you can get a pass (which is what I did) for less than $200 for four months. Once you're in, you can sit in the sauna, work out in the exercise room, etc., so the fee covers use of the entire facility, not just the pool. And the facilities are very nice and the people are very friendly. It's a great resource that's pretty cheap and covered by your tax dollars so you might as well take advantage...

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria