Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

OWS Memorial Day Weekend
CREATED: 05/26/10 by japhillips87 REPLIES: 11
japhillips87    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 10
OWS Memorial Day Weekend
POSTED: 5/26/10 10:00 PM

Anyone planning on doing an OWS this weekend? I am training for my first triathlon and have not done an OWS yet and therefore I am beginning to panic!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1052
RE: OWS Memorial Day Weekend
POSTED: 5/27/10 2:29 PM

I'm zipping out of work Friday at 2pm to head to Sandy Point unless I hit that bridge traffic like last Friday. Backup plan would be to go to the pool in Riva.

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 5/27/10 3:54 PM

What is the crowd supposed to be like at SP this Sunday? I'm worried about driving over there, getting caught in bridge traffic, then having it so crowded that I can't even swim.

Unfortunalty I missed the notice about the lake swim registration by 2 days :(

POSTED: 5/27/10 7:32 PM

James, my guess is that if you go early by 9am you will not encounter crowds. I think the lifeguards start working this weekend, but don't go on until 10am. Just swim parallel t shore so you'll be comfortable swimming alone or with someone.

POSTED: 5/27/10 8:34 PM

Thanks Hugh. I think I'll just plan to get there around early, like 7am, and that should give me time to get my long run in afterwords. Then I'll just lounge around out there and enjoy what looks to be a fantastic day weather wise.

japhillips87    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 5/27/10 9:47 PM

I won't be able to make it on Friday. James, what day are you planning on going?

Are there other locations to go just in case it is too crowded at SP this weekend?

Jen

POSTED: 5/28/10 5:23 AM

Sunday morning.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 5/28/10 9:08 AM

I might be able to do this. Never been there, but I might be able to pull myself out of bed early.

Pete

POSTED: 5/28/10 2:32 PM

Change of plans. After having 'Field Day' with the 5th graders, I am took exhausted to go today. On top of that, it's a big bridge traffic weekend and the Naval Academy has it's commencement.

stiefler    JOINED: 6/2/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 5/31/10 3:07 PM

Just FYI for future planning on nice weekends: Marti and I arrived at Sandy Point yesterday (Sunday) around 0845 and only had to wait about 5 mins to get through the gate. No traffic on 50, which was awesome. The beach was busy, but we were able to park near the changing rooms, get in a good swim without any human obstacles, and get out on a short bike ride afterwards. When we returned to the park on our bikes around noon, however, the place was an absolute zoo. The line to drive through the gate wrapped half way up oceanic drive, all traffic was being routed out towards the boat ramp parking area, and there wasn't an open piece of real estate on the grass or the beach.

Bottom line: unless it's raining you have to leave in time to get in the gate by 0900. Any later and you're asking for trouble.

POSTED: 5/31/10 3:16 PM

I must have seen you two swimming out there. I got there about 8:30, finished swimming about 9:30 and went for my long run about 10am.

I was just going to post exactly what you posted. If people plan to go up to Sandy Point Beach for Memorial Day next year, and the weather is nice, you have to get there before 9am. By 9am all the picnic tables are taken, and the beach is starting to fill up. By 10am you are parking in the boat ramp. When I was running back at 11am, the line into the park extended all the way across the bridge, down the exit ramp to 50, and 1000 feet onto the freeway.

POSTED: 5/31/10 10:09 PM

Next weekend might be a little tamer. Memorial Day weekend is always nuts.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria