Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Where do folks swim in NE DC or PG County?
CREATED: 02/16/10 by mthornto REPLIES: 5
mthornto    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 3
Where do folks swim in NE DC or PG County?
POSTED: 2/16/10 1:58 PM

Hey all,

I am woefully behind in my swim training and am still trying to locate a pool that's somewhat convenient to where I live (Hyattsville, MD). I'm also interested in swim classes/instruction, but the CUBU sessions at AU are way out of the way. Would really appreciate sage advice or suggestions on pools and/or classes.

Thanks.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1051
RE: Where do folks swim in NE DC or PG County?
POSTED: 2/16/10 2:48 PM

Hey,

I currently swim at the PG Sports & Learning Complex right next to Fed Ex Field. They have a lot of lanes and the high school teams are wrapping up their seasons. It's $18 a month for county residents and $22 for non-residents. http://pgsportsandlearn.com/

Also, starting next Monday we'll begin our masters swim group at Catholic University on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:30 to 8pm.

There is also a masters group at the University of Maryland with various practice times. www.terrapinmasters.org

All three are great places to swim. Good luck!
-Hugh

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 2/16/10 5:50 PM

I live near Ft. Totten and use either the Turkey Thicket Rec center (which is free for DC residents) and keep meaning to try the Tacoma pool (also free for DC residents). I am not sure how much they charge for anyone else, but they are both serviceable.

Hugh, for the Masters Swim Group at Catholic, how strong of a swimmer do you need to be? Would I officially need to be part of a masters swim program or something? I am very, very average (1:25 100s all out, closer to 2:00 over distance) and can't really do flip turns properly.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1062
POSTED: 2/16/10 6:19 PM

That's great news about CUA swims -- I'm ready to get back in the water.

The fact that you know your 100 splits at all mean you're a pretty good swimmer. You'll be smoking everyone at CUA. We have all 6 lanes there and all paces are represented. Usually a couple of beginner lanes, a couple of intermediate and 1 or 2 really fast lanes depending on who shows up.

Don't worry about not swimming fast enough-- I love it there and I'm even more 'average' than you. It's a nice pool and a great way to get pushed in your swim training.

mthornto    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 2/16/10 9:28 PM

Thanks for the tips Hugh. Very helpful. I plan to check out both the UMD Masters practices and those at Catholic. What's the deal with the Catholic practices? Do we need to sign up, pay dues etc?

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1051
POSTED: 2/16/10 10:27 PM

Yeah, Travis you are 'average' with a 1hr IM swim time. The CUA swims are $3 per session and we usually have workouts provided. The money goes to the CUA swim team.

Oh, Goshlickit, you'll be fine in the masters swim practice. There are various levels of swimmers and you just need to jump into the lane that fits you best.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria