Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

General Smallwood - Regional Club Championships
CREATED: 05/23/12 by afava REPLIES: 44
bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 975
RE: General Smallwood - Regional Club Championships
POSTED: 7/02/12 10:06 AM

Who wants the last spot? Only 1 slot available remaining (TWSS).

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 7/03/12 8:01 AM

A few updates for folks racing General Smallwood this weekend:

- We heard from John at MTS. The water temperature today is 87 degrees so plan on a non-wetsuit swim. They are changing the Oly swim course so it will be ONE loop (instead of two loops originally planned). This should help to keep folks spread out so a good change!

- Adam is identifying a location back in the DC area for a post-race HH/gathering. Plan on 5 pm and watch the Forum for details!

- We could use a hand setting up tents on Friday and bringing the tents and other Club gear back to DC on Sunday. If you can help, message me (click on red "afava" above).

See you on Saturday!

Andrea

sose    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 7/03/12 8:08 AM

Are there any visors or hats anywhere for member purchase?

I'm in the same boat with the jennism who asked in this thread.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: General Smallwood - Regional Club Champ
POSTED: 7/03/12 8:46 AM

Bleh. After Rocketts Landing last year, I told myself I would never race in water that hot again. That's bad. I'm probably dumb enough to do it anyway:)

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 7/03/12 9:08 AM

I'm gonna piggy back on this post. I will be driving to the race Sat morning and coming back after. Leaving from Ballston. Have space for one more + bike.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 7/03/12 10:35 AM

I am going to follow suit with Alejandro and offer up the DC Triathlon Club team car scheduled to depart from Dupont in DC early Sat morning, returning that afternoon. Have room for 3 bikes plus 3 bodies. Contact me at president@dctriclub.org to reserve your spot.

Ryan

POSTED: 7/04/12 5:15 PM

Athlete packets are available for General Smallwood:

General Smallwood International Distance Athlete Packet

General Smallwood Sprint Distance Athlete Packet

For all NTPers, please read this packet in its entirety! For the International swim course, check the Course Maps as the course is different from the athlete packet and different from what John described. They made it a single loop swim. So be prepared for that.

Swim waves have not yet been posted, but look for them later today or tomorrow on the race website.

Bryan
2012 NTP Co-Leader

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1772
POSTED: 7/05/12 8:54 AM

This may have been already covered but, given the broiling weather, are there plans for extra ice & cold drinks/coolers at the club tent afterwards, as has sometimes been done at prior hot-weather races? (And maybe a second tent if there is one?) Thanks.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 7/05/12 8:59 AM

Ed -

We are all over it brother! Although if you are feeling ambitious, you can always bring extra bags of ice (we can never have too many).

RT

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 7/05/12 9:07 AM

Do we have any info on how swim waves will be broken down? I don't see it on the race website or in the race packet.

Also, can someone confirm the bike is indeed 24 miles (not the 24.8 miles for a 40K)?

I'm glad they went with a 1-lap swim to cut down on crowding... but this swim course is a maze! Everyone should make sure to check out the course maps before the race!

-Luke

lockemike's ravatar lockemike    JOINED: 5/26/09    POSTS: 57
POSTED: 7/05/12 9:12 AM

Just to be clear, are the actual courses the ones in the athlete packet (the MS Paint-looking ones) or the Google Earth course maps?

POSTED: 7/05/12 9:16 AM

From my understanding, the actual course is the Google Earth course map and not the one in the Athlete Packet. It's a rectangular swim course, not the funky triangle on a stick course.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/05/12 9:35 AM

Room for 2 people 2 bikes, leaving from DC early early Saturday morning.

Hit me up!

Abby
abby.sanford19 at yahoo...

POSTED: 7/05/12 9:39 AM

@Mike: From MTS: "The swim course has been adjusted to reflect a 1 loop swim, the map on the website is the most accurate. The map in the Event Details has been updated in the Event Details to reflect a 1 loop swim please refer to the website for the most accurate up to date swim course map."

Car pooling: I have room for one person and one bike on Saturday. Leaving from Capitol Hill and planning to get there early for Sat morning packet pick-up. Full disclosure - I'll have Club post-race snacks in my car so you will be stuck helping me carry them to the tent :-) Email me amfava at yahoo.

DC Tri Visor for grabs: I have one DC Tri visor to lend someone for the run. Email me amfava at yahoo.

Andrea

POSTED: 7/05/12 9:55 AM

Folks - here's the latest info from USAT on the Club Competition:

The club awards will be the finale of the ceremony to allow proper calculation of the scores. Please stick around for the awards and to support your fellow clubs of the region!

Scoring Rules:

Divisions
Division I 130 or more members
Division II 30-129 members
Division III 2-29 members

Overall Individual Scoring
Overall points are awarded to the top three male and female finishers, 10, 9 and 8 respectively. Top three overall finishers will not be eligible to earn additional age group points. These points only apply to the Olympic distance racers in the regular age groups, not other divisions.

Age Group Individual Scoring
Eligible individuals will be scored by age group and gender. The top five finishers will receive 6-2 points with the first place finisher earning 6 points, the second place earning 5, and so on.

Club Participation Points
Non-scoring age group participant finishers will earn 1/2 point for their respective clubs up to a maximum 15 points for Division I, 10 points for Division II, and 5 points for Division III. These additional points are total points, not per age group.

Distance Travel Points
Travel points will be awarded and calculated from the domicile of the club to the location of the race. Points will be awarded as follows:
250 miles = 10 points, 200-250 miles - 8 pts, 150-200 miles = 6 pts, 100-150 miles = 4 pts, 50-100 miles = 2 pts, <50 miles = 0 pts.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/05/12 10:09 AM

BY the way...

103 is going to be gross. Consider hydration and salt replacement! I cramped like crazy at EagleMan (sure it was longer, but 10 degrees cooler).

lockemike's ravatar lockemike    JOINED: 5/26/09    POSTS: 57
POSTED: 7/05/12 10:47 AM

And sunscreen! Even with an 8 a.m. start, slap some on. Follow up after your run...you'll probably be standing around for a while once the race is over.

POSTED: 7/05/12 10:47 AM

It won't be 103 until Saturday afternoon. It will be "only" 83 at the start, 91 at 10am, and 95 at 11am (altho it will feel hotter). I guess the increasing temps over the course of the morning is a reason to race fast. Get done early... haha!

POSTED: 7/05/12 11:56 AM

Good point on the sunscreen! But I would avoid putting it on your face, at least above your eyes... as it really burns when sunscreen runs into your eyes when you're cycling or running!

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 7/06/12 6:26 AM

General Smallwood Triathlon - Water Temperature - 87 F

The water temperature of the Mattawoman Bay site of the General Smallwood Triathlon Swim as of 4 PM on Thursday was 87 degrees F.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria