Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Kinetic Half Roll Call
CREATED: 04/07/10 by suzkinsky REPLIES: 29
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1744
RE: Kinetic Half Roll Call
POSTED: 1/22/11 5:34 PM

Seems like Shelly Sinclair's doing two halves (for a full IM maybe...)

In. Will likely head down the day before, either before or after the rush hour.

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 147
POSTED: 1/30/11 4:49 PM

I am in.
I will probably head down there Friday and camp. I camped last year for the sprint and it was a 5 minute walk from the campground to the start of the race. The site costs $30 and sleeps 6, so let me know if you are interested in camping.

JessO's ravatar JessO    JOINED: 6/16/09    POSTS: 66
POSTED: 1/30/11 7:38 PM

I'm racing as well. looks like there'll be quite the DC tri representation out there this year!

Dena, I would definitely be up for sharing a campsite with you that Friday.

stivnik's ravatar stivnik    JOINED: 1/11/10    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 2/08/11 4:08 PM

Kinetic Vets: looking for a race report for this course. I heard the bike course ran out of fluid last year, making a warm day warmer.

How's the bike and run course? Assuming rolling hills, but nothing brutal? Nothing worse than what I might find in and around Tenleytown, I hope.

Final thoughts: As HIMs go, is this a good one to try for that distance in the DC area?

Thanks,
Steve

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 2/08/11 4:35 PM

I hadn't heard that the bike course ran out of water, so can't comment on that. Generally, Set Up Events are extremely well-run. I've found this race to be interesting, weather-wise, given how fickle May can be. Both times it's started out quite cool and then turned into hot sun by lunchtime. And the one year I did the sprint (when it was held in April) it poured the entire race. Go figure.

I think the bike course is a very decent rolling course. I don't consider any of the hills to be the get-out-of-the-saddle kind. There are probably 4-5 true climbs on the lap, so 8-10 for the entire course.

The run is pretty challenging, though. Right out of transition you have a very short but very steep hill. Then you climb for a mile. Then you run mostly downhill/flat for about another mile, turnaround and run back up what you just ran down. The last 1-2 miles of the lap are downhill/flat. You do that three times.

The other challenge about this event is that it is early in the season (although it seems every year it moves back one week), so you're racing long distance on legs that have had the bare minimum of outdoor training. That said, this was my first HIM a few years ago and it's totally doable for a first-timer.

I really like this event. Eagleman is the other option within a 2 hour drive from DC and within a comparable timeframe, and that's a much different scale than Kinetic.

stivnik's ravatar stivnik    JOINED: 1/11/10    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 2/10/11 11:50 AM

Suz-

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the race and the course, which the website accurately described as "rolling."

Since Eagleman -- which has been described as a "rite of passage" for DC Tri -- is already closed out, I guess I need to close the deal on this one! Cherry Blossom should get my legs ready for the run...
Bests,
Steve

phaney    JOINED: 11/22/10    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 3/03/11 12:16 PM

Looks like set up events just updated the bike course....it was changed due to construction on one of the bridges at the lake. The new course takes everyone north of the lake.

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 3/08/11 9:55 AM

Dena,

Count me in for the camping as well. Sounds like a good DC Tri crew this year!

AJ

hmooney    JOINED: 9/30/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 3/08/11 11:59 AM

I'm in. Staying in Fredericksburg the night before with friends, only a 30 min drive then to the race.

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 3/08/11 1:02 PM

I'm in for my 1st ever half.

Not sure on my plans, whether to drive down the morning of or get a place to stay.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria