Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Eagleman Century Ride May 1, 2010
CREATED: 02/16/10 by mosered REPLIES: 26
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
Eagleman Century Ride May 1, 2010
POSTED: 2/16/10 4:04 PM

An early-season, organized century ride, actually 30 to 100 miles, will take place on the Eagleman half ironman bike course, on May 1, 2010:

http://www.6pillarscentury.org/

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
RE: Eagleman Century Ride May 1, 2010
POSTED: 2/16/10 4:17 PM

Thanks for posting this. I just might sign up. I'd love the opportunity to familiarize myself with the Eagleman bike course before the HIM in June.

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 2/16/10 4:43 PM

Oooh sounds fun! Count me in for either the 30 mile or 56 mile..I'll decide after I see how I feel post- half mara and sprint tri the weekend before and knowing I've got another sprint the following weekend!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 2/16/10 10:24 PM

I did the century ride last year and it was a blast. Not much out there in some parts of the eastern shore, but a fun day. Count me in for the full 100.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 2/17/10 5:44 PM

Is there a sign up or just show up? Looks great to me for 100...

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 285
POSTED: 2/17/10 5:57 PM

In for the 100. (Remember, Brick-Nic is the day after)

POSTED: 2/17/10 11:16 PM

After Feb. 28th registration goes up to $55 from $45 for all three distances. The website shows that you may register on the day of the event. Check the website that Ed first posted. Last year was their first year and it was well supported.

courtr26's ravatar courtr26    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 2/18/10 11:18 AM

Cool! Thanks for posting Ed. I need to get some practice in on that course.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 2/18/10 11:35 AM

I think I'm in for the Eagleman course ride. That will be brutal after this 'trainup' so far. Keep in mind also the Columbia brick-nic is the day after (2 May), so you're looking at a potential double that weekend. Basically that would make it an IM-quality training weekend.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 2/18/10 2:39 PM

How many people showed up for Six Pillars last year? How many for the 56-miler specifically?

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 2/19/10 9:50 AM

uh, try google. or the race directors. if you don't get the answer, not sure who would know how many people specifically signed up for the 56 miler

POSTED: 2/19/10 12:14 PM

Well, I asked here because someone said they rode in it last year, so I figured this was a good place to ask.

I'm interested in finding out if it was more than just a handful of people out there on the roads.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1266
POSTED: 2/19/10 12:41 PM

Unless you are doing the century ride or planning to make the aid stop a buffet stop, why waste money signing up for this ride ... especially if your only goal is to pre ride the Eagleman course? I say this because the target race for many people in the HIP program is Eagleman. Coupled that with the fact that DCTri is full of type A personalities, I'm pretty sure that someone within DCTri will organize an informal group ride there sometime in May or June for the folks that want to ride the course before the race. We had two such rides last year. Now, if we tripled that with the fact that the Prince of Saigon is also doing Eagleman ... I'm fairly certain that there will be an organized ride there sometime in May or June.

For anyone who wants to try the Eagleman course out for themselves, you could go out there on any given weekend without a cue sheet and navigate the course without issues. The course is very well laid out with paint markings on the pavement. Just follow the arrows with the "EM" letters written next to it. For certain stretches of the course there is an another arrow with something like "EC" (Eagleman Century) or something like that written next to "EM." The course is on very lightly traveled road so traffic is not much of an issue. I went out there twice last year with DCTri and neither time had a cue sheet with me.

We did have a few people get lost on the road last year. Apparently when the "EM" arrow told them to turn left, they didn't think that it meant for them to turn left. Anybody heard from the Wombat? I think that she's still out there somewhere. Maybe when we do the ride this year we'll find her.

The paid organized ride that is referenced in this thread had pretty a good following last year if I can remember correctly from all of the reports (I didn't do the paid one). I wouldn't worry about being the only one out there. Other than the race organizers, I doubt anyone can give an accurate breakdown of how many riders signed up for each particular distance.

On a side note, perhaps we can get our esteemed social/events coordinator to partnered up with Team Z for a ride in Cambridge ... oops did I say that ? I feel so naughty ;)

Tuan

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/19/10 12:57 PM

i think people would pay to do it to support a local race organizaation and whatever schwag they give out if any and also more people someitimes go if they are financially committed to the thing...

just saying.

POSTED: 2/19/10 1:58 PM

There were just over 300 people there last year, according to one of the organizers. (I just emailed today. They replied lightning-fast.) They are hoping for 600 this year. Whether the pre-Eagleman ride is with the Six Pillars or a somewhat large DC Tri group, I think it would be far more interesting to ride the course with a group of cyclists, not just on my own. It would also help mentally to get into the mindset of EM to see other cyclists around while riding that course.

Given that there will be a sizable group for Six Pillars, I'm more likely to sign up. But I probably won't decide right away. I'll also monitor the board to see if anyone organizes a group ride here. One difference is that the DC Tri group might have a bunch of 25-mph+ speedsters. I'm not a slow-poke but I'm not quite at 25 mph avg., ... yet.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1266
POSTED: 2/19/10 2:16 PM

PotomacTriathlete2009 my friend ... you have been sold the Brooklyn Bridge :)

When we go out there to ride, we go out there to have fun not race each other. Last year the "fast" group finished the 56 mile ride in right around the 3 hour mark (18 mph average). The slower group had a kumbya and a group hug on the course and came in somewhere near the 3:30-3:45 range.

We do have some really fast people in the group but they tend to control their enthusiasms when they are among us commoners. As I recalled, we had 3-4 people in the group who podiums at tris, dus, or bike races in our group last year but they hung with the 3 hour peleton throughout the 3 hour ride.

Nevertheless, it sounds like the Six Pillar doesn't sell out so you can wait until the last second. The DCTri group that do form tend to do it in the spur of the moment. In other words, you might not hear about the ride until the week of. This means that you won't hear about it prior to the Six Pillar. If you have concerns then I think that you should just sign up for the Six Pillars. If DCTri do decide to organize a ride, that will just be another long training ride for you among friends.

POSTED: 2/19/10 3:02 PM

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere in the DC Tri Club registration materials that simply joining the club would get me an extra 3 mph on the bike. I swear I read that somewhere. LOL

OK, good to know about the DC Tri rides. But I'm still hoping that I can improve my speed enough by May that I'll be one of the people that has to hold back. Yes, I'm an optimist.

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 4/19/10 10:34 AM

just signed up for the 56 mile.

POSTED: 4/25/10 2:22 PM

The 6 Pillars century supports Character Counts Mid-Shore. They strive to create an increased awareness about the importance of good character and basic values in our society. This is something I would be perfect for my school district.

Cannot wait until Saturday. Did the century last year and going for it again. Who else is in? Looking to leave the DC area around 5:30 am and be on the bike by 7:30 am.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 285
POSTED: 4/25/10 8:59 PM

In for the century. Will see what I can do for a 7:30 go-time.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria