Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Tri Bike Recommendations
CREATED: 11/09/09 by ppgodes REPLIES: 6
ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
Tri Bike Recommendations
POSTED: 11/09/09 12:37 PM

Well, the sales are on, and I'm finally going to upgrade to a tri-bike after riding my cheap, but functional road bike through 10 triathlons.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), based on my size and price point, I have 6 to choose from. I'll be "test riding" this week, but does anyone own one of these?
I love the look of the Roos, (even though one is pink...groan) but I haven't seen too many people riding one. The bikes are touted as "women's designed" for our size, but I don't know anyone who owns one. Anyone out there?

Thanks everyone...

Paula

Here they are:

Quintana Roo Chicgilo
Quintana Roo Teguilo
Qunitana Roo Dulce
Felt S1
Cervelo P1
Cervelo P2

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
RE: Tri Bike Recommendations
POSTED: 11/09/09 1:15 PM

I have a P2C (now P2) and think it's great, and they're popular for a reason. These links may help describe differences between the QR's and Cervelos:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/2009_tri_bikes_at_the_entry_level_668.html

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/2nd_step_tri_bikes_695.html

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 714
POSTED: 11/09/09 2:53 PM

If the Felt S1 is the into - I have that one - it is a 2006 and I like it well enough. Can't say I have much to compare it to but my old road bike. I am not a bike techie - but it is a fun ride and mine is blue so I like blue. Wishing for all carbon fiber now though - but I would have to ride more to reward myself with that big ticket item. Since it is the off season and the sales will go on after Xmas - take your time and test drive them all!

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 11/15/09 12:22 AM

I can't find anything about a Felt S1 on Google. Is that the actual model number? I have a Felt S32, an entry-level aluminum-frame tri bike. I don't have any complaints so far, after 5 months. I tipped over a few times during the first month as I was getting used to the clipless pedals and I flipped over the handlebars once because of some outrageous unrepaired bumps on the Capital Crescent Trail. The bike has held up well. It's light and I can get that thing moving pretty fast.

The only negative is that I can feel the bumps in the road. I've read that carbon frames deaden some of the bumps, making for a smoother ride. Aluminum transfers more of the bumps and vibrations to the rider. But until I can afford a carbon frame, I can get far enough on the S32. I did fairly well on the bike leg of this fall's Nation's Triathlon with it, even with just 3 months of riding on a regular bike. (All the stationary bike workouts I did last winter helped a lot.)

garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 11/15/09 12:23 PM

I can't say anything specific about the bikes you are considering, but I highly recommend carbon (or titanium or even light weight steel) over aluminum. Not so much because of handling but, as mentioned above, aluminum is "vibratory" (is that a word?). Unless you go way up in price, you aren't likely to get a truly "smooth out all the bumps in the road" bike -- and tri bikes aren't touring bikes anyhow. But the difference between aluminum and carbon at your price point (or even if carbon would be a bit more expensive) makes carbon MUCH more attractive.

Another thing to consider in the long view: aluminum wears out over time. With your experience you are probably thinking about a tri bike that you will have for a long time. Even when you want to upgrade to a truly expensive tri bike, you would most likely want to keep this bike for harsher conditions training and even possibly putting on a trainer. So... longevity might be a factor. And, lastly, on that general note, I would personally recommend a frame that you are tri-comfortable on.

Good luck,
Gary

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 11/15/09 1:14 PM

go with what your budget allows. test ride them if you can and get what you want.

it really is as simple as that.

we can tell you to buy this or that but its literally your "butt" that is going to ride it not ours so listen to what you budget and body tells you. LOL, seriously.

good luck.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
POSTED: 11/15/09 4:02 PM

Of course, swapping out saddles or adjusting bar height is something that's an easy (and cheap) fix to discomfort too. Bringing your current saddle (if you like it). and pedals (if you're riding clipless) will make a difference on test rides. Re carbon vs. aluminum, at the prices you're looking at, you should at least be getting a carbon fork, and hopefully carbon seatstays too. Even if the rest of the bike is aluminum, those bits will dampen the vibrations from the road. My guess is that going titanium is probably too much $$$. I disagree about fatigue life of aluminum vs. carbon -- unless you're putting ridiculous miles on them, both should be fine for your purposes (wrecks and lack of maintenance aside). Don't be put off by the fact that you don't see many QR's -- the brand is the same as the one that owns Litespeed and a few others. Have fun test riding!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria