Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Gen Smallwood Sprint CANCELLED
CREATED: 07/07/12 by PamS REPLIES: 7
PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
Gen Smallwood Sprint CANCELLED
POSTED: 7/07/12 1:27 PM

Unfortunately the Smallwood Sprint tomorrow has been cancelled due to excessive heat. An official announcement from the Race Director will be coming out shortly. Sorry guys :(

gswiszcza's ravatar gswiszcza    JOINED: 1/27/10    POSTS: 34
RE: Gen Smallwood Sprint CANCELLED
POSTED: 7/07/12 1:52 PM

What what what? Noooooo! It can't be any worse than today's heat.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/07/12 2:28 PM

Shame, but may be for the best. Really rough conditions out there. I didn't go to Smallwood today, but times look pretty slow overall. Must have been real tough. Water upriver in the Potomac got up to 92, and may be even hotter tomorrow after todays heat. That's the real danger, not the air temperature.

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 259
POSTED: 7/07/12 2:45 PM

The State of Maryland forced them to shut it down. They maxed out the capabilities of the EMS Staff that were available today. Several people went to the hospital.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 7/07/12 4:19 PM

That's too bad, especially for those NTPers. I was out there yesterday and it was hot, but nothing like today. I hope those who went to the hospital are okay.

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 195
POSTED: 7/07/12 5:26 PM

I was highly conflicted between the Gen Smallwood Sprint and the WaveOne "Washington Crossing Swim" from Alexandria to National Harbor. Looks like I made the right decision.

I think there is on-site registration tomorrow morning for anyone who wants to come swim. No wetsuit needed!!!

Gato's ravatar Gato    JOINED: 4/25/11    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 7/07/12 6:00 PM

I'm not a veteran, but I have done several races. The conditions today were simply insane. My run was a disaster and a girl about 300 meters ahead of me passed out on road and was dragged/carried to the aid tent. It was a great race and I must say it was awesome to see so many DCTRI folks doing very well.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 7/07/12 10:09 PM

It was brutal out there. Kudos to the NTP'ers who had these conditions in their first tri - it's sure to get easier from here. We set an all time high for July 7th, and one degree short of tying the all-time high. Tomorrow is forecasted at 97 to 100 deg. I feel bad for those who have had their second chance at a sprint cancelled, but better safe than sorry. Enjoy mimosas instead.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/washington-dc-nearing-record-high-for-july-7-10th-straight-day-of-95/2012/07/07/gJQATxo4TW_blog.html#pagebreak

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria