Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Triathlon Coach suggestions
CREATED: 10/29/12 by rojojade REPLIES: 2
rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
Triathlon Coach suggestions
POSTED: 10/29/12 9:30 PM

So per tradition - I will kick off the first of the many posts asking for people's suggestions on a triathlon coach.

I need someone to help me train for Lake Placid. And while I understand that the club offer's a IM program with a goal race to Lake Placid - I feel like I am a very special snowflake that will require a lot more individualized scheduling due to the fact that I need to rebuild my fitness from the summer of injuries I have been in PT for.

And I have seen the past posts about the various coaches - but I'm also wondering if people's opinions have changed or if there are some new coaches in the area that you would recommend.

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
RE: Triathlon Coach suggestions
POSTED: 10/30/12 9:10 PM

I worked with AJ Morrison (DC Tri's own) when I was training for Louisville, and I really loved her. Now, AJ's a friend, but I really do mean it that she was just an amazing coach that truly exceeded my expectations. Although she herself is an elite athlete, her plans are reasonable, which is really important if triathlon is not your full time job. This was especially important to me because when I trained for this race I had quite a few friends also training for their first IMs and working with other coaches (I won't mention names...) who got hurt just doing ridiculous swim workouts, so its definitely possible to overdo it.

As someone who admittedly thinks I know everything, I am not very good at listening to anyone else, but I really did keep to AJ's plans (which included wiggle room for unplanned rest days when I really needed it!) and I felt very prepared for the race, both mentally (AJ gave me some great tips and handouts on visualization and mental prep!) and physically. I exceeded my goals, felt strong through most of the race (not possible to feel strong the whole time, its a long ass race!) and I recovered very quickly after the race.

For you in particular, I would say a couple of reasons why AJ could be great for you, in addition to everything I just mentioned. 1. She has raced Placid, so she knows the course and how to train just for your race; and 2. She is schooled as a physical therapist, so she understands injuries and physiology, and you mentioned that you have been battling various injuries. I too have chondromalacia in both knees and was fighting plantar fascitis going into my IM and AJ helped me to scale back but push through.

There's some info about her on the dc tri site somewhere I'm sure, and more info on her website: http://multisportinmotion.com/Home_Page.php

Good luck!

HP

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 203
RE: Triathlon Coach suggestions
POSTED: 10/31/12 12:33 PM

+1 about AJ, she's pretty darn swell and knows what she's doing.

May Godzilla guide you to glory,
-Andy Sovonick of Gaithersburg

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria