DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Where to live for best training in DC area
CREATED: 12/29/09 by pelesmk REPLIES: 8
pelesmk    JOINED: 12/29/09    POSTS: 2
Where to live for best training in DC area
POSTED: 12/29/09 1:00 PM

I'm in need of recommendation:
I currently live in San Francisco and shout to all Golden Gate Tri Club members in DC! I'm sure a few DC Tri Club members hail from SF and have made the Eastern migration or the reverse migration. I will be relocating to the DC area for work. Ft. Meade in particular. I'm not familiar with the area and need to find a place to live. I'm hoping the DC Tri club members could recommend training places, trails, and neighborhoods to live near. Some details about me are below.

Details:
* I don't own a car...that may change, but life is great without one.
* I spend 20-30 hours a week training.
* I'm a trail runner first and triathlete second
* I'm racing IM St. George and Full Vineman next year. Finding a training group for these races would be great and living near the normal training group locations are a top priority, even if it means a longer commute.
* I currently commute 1.5 hours each way to work, meaning I'm not afraid to commute
* I'm 25. I'm not a bar tender nor do I tend to go to bars to pick up chicks. I can live without nightlife, but do enjoy life in the neighborhood.
* I currently live in the Mission in SF...a younger "hipster" neighborhood, but I'm barely hip.
* I enjoy efficiency living. Don't need a 3,000sft home or a squeaky clean street. I can handle some homeless people.

Thanks to anyone with recommendations or maybe anyone looking for a roommate.

-Daniel

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1299
RE: Where to live for best training in DC area
POSTED: 12/29/09 1:38 PM

We have a DCTRi member who is living in SF right now and is a Golden Gate Tri club member. Her name is Rachel. If you know who she is, you might want to hook up with her in SF for some advice. She lived here in the DC area for quite a bit. She still roams this board once awhile.

Ft. Meade is not close to DC ... especially if you don't have a car. There aren't any easy or quick public transportations available to get to/from Ft. Meade to DC if you want to go back and forth and participate in group training activities. The vast majority of the DCTri club group workouts either originates in DC or are short bike rides from DC.

#1 Recommendation: if your top priority is to do group activities with DCTri and work at Ft. Meade then get a car :)

#2 Recommendation: if being near training groups is your top priority then live in DC and commute to Ft. Meade as opposed to live in Ft. Meade and drive down to DC. There are lots of weekday running groups that start off in DC and run around DC. There are also a bunch of weekday bike group rides that are either in DC or short bike rides from DC. There are also weekday swim group get togethers in one of the many DC pools.

Assuming that you will get a car and can commute between DC and Ft. Meade, anywhere along Rock Creek Park will give
you access to some prime running routes and biking routes within a few minutes from your front door. There are plenty of dirt trails in Rock Creek to satisfy your running on dirt needs. Rock Creek Park is a long stretch of federal parkland that stretches from DC to MD. Look up Silver Spring (Md), Adams Morgan (DC), Cleaveland Park (DC), Mt. Pleasant (DC)... pretty much you will be near Rock Creek if you live anywhere in NW DC.

If you are going to live near Ft. Meade, Baltimore training groups might be a better and closer option for you than DC.

Trails in DC or within a short jog from DC: Rock Creek, WD&O, Mt. Vernon trail, Custis, C&O Canal.

Tuan

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 12/29/09 2:01 PM

Don't forget the Potomac Heritage trail, and Ft. Dupont/Anacostia trail system...

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 12/29/09 2:41 PM

Can't you take the MARC train from BWI or nearby to get from Ft. Meade to DC?

Just live on the HIll and reverse commute.

pelesmk    JOINED: 12/29/09    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 12/29/09 3:20 PM

Thanks dsgrunning for the recommendations. I've gotten good information from Rachel already. One of her recommendations was to drop a message to the DC Tri Club.

I was researching living on the Hill and doing a reverse commute. I may have to do a practice commute before making my final decision, but I like this option.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 12/29/09 3:33 PM

I agree with those who are suggesting a reverse commute if you want to remain carless.

If you want to live and/or train closer to work I suggest you look into the two other clubs in MD. The Baltimore Area Triathlon Club (BATC) is a great group but they do most of their group training north of Baltimore around the Loch Raven Reservoir and the NCR trail. You could also check out the Mid Maryland Tri Club, based out of Columbia which is very close to Ft. Meade. They seem to be pretty together and I know that they do weekly run-bike-runs during the summer months.

baltimoretriathlon.org/
www.midmdtriclub.org/

- Suzanne

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 12/30/09 8:54 AM

Are you government or a contractor?
The reason is that if you are a govie then your assignment is likely more permanent than if you are a contractor. That imo affects your decision to live near work and join, say, Mid Maryland, or live in DC and commute. If you are a contractor you could be in "the fort" initially and 6 months later find yourself at another agency doing the same type of work in Northern VA.
If you decide to live in DC and commute, agree that the Hill gives you what you want as far as training and it's the closest to your avenue to Ft Meade, which is 295, or the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. Keep in mind though that having known many folks doing that commute at one time or another, and been offered it myself many times, it is not insignificant - distance alone it's a good 1-1.5 hours. Most folks going to Meade adopt a very alternate work hour schedule to facilitate their lives.
If you want the training, Mid Maryland can give you the resources. If you want more of a social feel, DC Tri may be your avenue. Good Luck.

Edit - just saw you don't have a car. DC to Ft Meade without a car is pretty unreasonable.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 958
POSTED: 12/30/09 12:04 PM

Oh, you DC and VA people! :) There are plenty of trails and paths in Maryland in close proximity to Ft. Meade.

There are the Baltimore-Annapolis Trail (B&A), the BWI Trail, Patapsco State Park has some great trails for running (I've seen LOTS of people running and mountain biking thru there), Gwynn's Falls Trail, Jones Falls trail. The Northern Central Railroad Trail (NCRR) heads out of the north side of B'more to PA, but it's a great path for riding on. The Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Trail (WB&A) is nearby too. There are plenty of options around Ft. Meade though they aren't all walking distance.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1761
POSTED: 12/30/09 2:04 PM

The best place for you to live may be in the vicinity of Arlington's Washington-Lee high school--next to its new pool and its track with organized Potomac Runners evening runs, blocks from the W&OD trail and the Military Rd. hills, blocks from Conte's bike shop, Gold's gym, an ice skating rink, and the Potomac River Running store, blocks from the Clarendon restaurant/pub district and Pacers running store's organized runs and Revolution's bike shop, and minutes from the Georgetown/Mt. Vernon/Custis-Lee trails and DC RoadRunners' organized runs at the Iwo Jima memorial.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria