Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Going from Oly to Sprint??
CREATED: 06/13/09 by kemerson REPLIES: 7
kemerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
Going from Oly to Sprint??
POSTED: 6/13/09 6:10 PM

I think I ahve decided that I need to do a Sprint at the NJ tri but I signed up for the Oly. How do I go down to a Sprint at this point?

laxley    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 12
RE: Going from Oly to Sprint??
POSTED: 6/18/09 2:05 PM

I am getting nervous about the Oly and thought that the next month would be a lot more pleasant if I could switch to Sprint as well. I left a message yesterday with CGI Racing, but have not heard back yet. Kemerson, have you been able to switch? Thanks!

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:13 PM

Guy's, relax...Any healthy individual with minimal training can complete an olympic distance (or half iron for that matter) triathlon. Just stay within yourself and you'll be fine...No need to worry.

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:15 PM

Well I was not able to sign up for OLY and could only do Sprint. I would like to switch, I have not looked into it yet. But I would be interested if possible.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 6/18/09 10:13 PM

I know an Oly can be a daunting thought and that it's less scary to do a Sprint. But it's not un-doable. :)

Just think... if you did the training tri, THAT was a Sprint. There is very little difference between the training tri and the NJ Sprint. If you conquered the training tri, then just think that if you go to NJ and do the Sprint, how it's just going to feel like a training tri to you. And how good you'll feel about yourself if you attempt the Oly and succeed. Remember it's not about winning the Oly, it's about completing it.

In the infamous words of Rob Schneider from Waterboy: YOU CAN DO IT! :)

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 6/19/09 9:08 AM

Just FYI...

Last year, my co-mentee in the NTP decided the day before the race that he needed to switch from Olympic to Sprint. He talked to the people at the race and they let him switch, no problem. He didn't get back the difference in the entry fee, though.

He switched because he was not a good swimmer, and didn't feel like he could make it. I looked up his swim time later, and think he made the right decision. When you get there, you will see that the swim looks pretty intimidating, even if you can do 33 laps (1500 m) in the pool.

Problem is, there is a straight stretch of about 3/4 of a mile. And when your eyes are only a couple of inches above the surface, it just looks big. If you're a decent swimmer, it's not so bad once you start, you just have to not panic.

DON'T PANIC!!!

kemerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 6/19/09 12:27 PM

That is why I have to switch. I had to learn how to swim just to do this race and still have a long way to go. I don't this an oly is a wise choice for me at this point.

mark    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 6/22/09 12:24 PM

does CGI racing allow switching? if so my fiance would love to switch with someone for a oly distance. she is currently registered for the sprint.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria