Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Quick dry land strength training?
CREATED: 08/02/09 by ShannonO REPLIES: 6
ShannonO    JOINED: 7/10/09    POSTS: 17
Quick dry land strength training?
POSTED: 8/02/09 6:57 PM

I want to increase my lat, shoulder, and core muscles specifically to get stronger for my swim. Does anyone have experience with a good, quick strength routine for pre- or post-swim workouts?

A swimmer friend suggested pushups and crunches, in addition to adding a few laps of fly kick drills. I'm looking for a variety of suggestions!

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Quick dry land strength training?
POSTED: 8/02/09 7:07 PM

Well I can tell you a good routine. Specially if you have access to a Gravitron or a assisted pull-up/dip machine. For evey 1 pull-up you will do 2 dips, and the push-ups and crunches stay the same. At assisted weight as needed with the machine.

You start with:
1 pull-up
2 dips (Concentrate on staying as upright as possible)
15 push-ups
15 crunches

Then you goto the next set:
2 pull-ups
4 dips
15 push-ups
15 crunches

You keep going up 1 pull up each set, until you get to 5 and then go back down.

Kick off you swim, then when you are done with you swim.

Forward Planks (30 Sec- 1 min)
Right side plank (30 sec- 1 min)
Left side plank (30 sec- 1 min)
Back lying bridges (30 sec- 1 min)

Do each 3 times.

This does all the major muscle utilized for swimming as well as when you are done, working your core muscles.

I would only do the pull-up workout once a week, and I would do it on your long distant, slow pace day. Not a very good ides to hit this when you are doing sprint work. I just started do ing this again myself.

POSTED: 8/02/09 7:24 PM

Thanks - that kind of ris exactly what I'm looking for. However, I only have a pull up bar available, not a gravitron (some day I promise myself I won't need assistance in a pull-up, but that day is not near).

Are kipping pull-ups or starting from the top of the movement and slowly coming down good replacements? (Assuming I can figure out how to do a kipping pull-ups.)

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/02/09 8:16 PM

Well you can use a plyoblock(Thing you see people jumping up and down on.. a chair or something of that sort to allow you to utilize your legs for assistance. If not you can supplement it with pulldown machine. Take your body weight and goto 60%-70% of that, and work your way up. Kipping is always an option, but it changes the dynamics of the muscles you are trying to recruit. So if it was me, I would switch to Pull-Downs. Make sure you pull straight down to the top of the chest, with a slight lean back. Don't lean anymore than maybe 45 degrees

Another exercise machine you can try is upright rows. Really works the traps, rhomboids, super/inferior spinatous, posterior deltoids, and biceps. As well as the muscle in the wrist and grip. It minorly work some lats, but not as well as the pulldowns.

POSTED: 8/02/09 8:58 PM

The equipment I can use is a very small set at the pool. I am pretty sure they have a pull-down machine, though, so I'll give that a try. Thank you!

hbarney's ravatar hbarney    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 8/02/09 10:59 PM

Yes, pull-up or chin-up negatives can be very effective if you don't have access to a Gravitron. Start at the top and try to take as long as possible to lower to full extension, but without actually pausing or holding at any point. Time yourself and try to extend the length of the lowering over time. For most people, once you can do a full 30 second negative, you'll be able to do an unassisted pull-up or chin-up.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 8/03/09 10:06 AM

If you still need assistance with pull ups and don't have a Gravitron thing, loop old bike tubes over the bar and put a foot in for added assistance. I use old strength bands on my bar at home.

Work on handstands. If you don't want to kick up against a wall, start with your knees on bench, plyo box, or chair. Start with holds to get used to being inverted and progress to handstand push ups. Work partial range with pillows or something soft under your head. If you still aren't sure about kicking up against a wall, start with your back to the wall, put your hands down on the ground, and walk your feet up the wall to full extension. You might have to walk your hands back toward the wall as well. Takes a lot of core strength to hold yourself in this position.

Instead of crunches do 4 count flutter kicks (to count as 1).

Do a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (reps) workout of push ups and flutter kicks.

Jen

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria