Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ironman Training Plans - Recommendations?
CREATED: 08/16/12 by afava REPLIES: 6
afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
Ironman Training Plans - Recommendations?
POSTED: 8/16/12 9:23 AM

Any Ironman Training Plan recommendations? Of course, DC Tri IMP is a favorite option but interested in understanding what options are out there, what major differences in plans tend to be, etc. Thanks! Andrea

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 81
RE: Ironman Training Plans - Recommendations?
POSTED: 8/16/12 9:55 AM

Hi Andrea

I went the self coached route for my IMs and highly recommend Don Fink's Be Iron Fit: http://www.amazon.com/Be-Iron-Fit-2nd-Time-Efficient/dp/1599218577#_

- There are 3 levels of plans depending on your goals and amount of time to devote to training: Just Finish, Intermediate, and Competitive.

- Each plan has three 10-week phases: Base, Build, and Peak. If you have a strong base you can cut that phase out to make this a 20 week program.

- The workouts are set up as time based in heart rate zones.

- It has the same weekly schedule but can be moved around if necessary: Swim 3x week (workouts are written out but he also encourages masters swimming), Bike 4-5x/week (including bricks), and Run 4-5x/week (including bricks).

I have an xls version of the intermediate and competitive plans if you want to take a look.

Thanks,
Ryan

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 8/16/12 10:05 AM

Joe Friel's "Training Bible" is one that you will hear a lot about if your search. I have the book, if you want to borrow it. I bought it many years ago. I've never actually read more than 10 pages of it. I've been lending it out to folks who were training for IMs over the years. It has a training plan in there somewhere as well as the theory/philosophy behind the theories/science.

For the sake of full disclosure, I don't use any kind of training plans. I've been winging it through my 4 IMs ... not the typical Type-A triathlete path, but I'm not the typical Type-A triathlete either :)

Tuan

skarpers's ravatar skarpers    JOINED: 5/9/11    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 8/16/12 10:32 AM

Andrea,

I used this book I got off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1841263087/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

The workouts are set up as time based and provided for you which is nice.

I'm about the head into my first IM at Louisville next week, so I guess I'll let you know how this training plan works out :)

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 185
POSTED: 8/16/12 12:30 PM

I have gone the mostly self coached route as well leading up to Louisville. I used Joel friels books - The triathletes training bible and his book Going Long. Going Long is specific to IM distance training and also tackles a bit of the mental side. Both books are available on Amazon for cheaper than you'll find in any store.

saubbie23's ravatar saubbie23    JOINED: 1/11/11    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 8/16/12 12:46 PM

Swim a lot, bike a lot, run a lot. Then do it some more. That will be $400 a month, cash only. Thanks.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 8/16/12 2:07 PM

Looking at the IM approach market the recent years, the consultant in me wants to categorize the IM preparation strategies as 3 types:
Basic LSD approach: Training Bible, etc. Base, build, peak. Different coaches, plans, etc. within this category stress the same basic elements. A coach will tailor the base, build and peak depending on your needs. Purchasable plans are well-tested and proven for the most part.
Intensity-Control approach: Draws from LSD but implements more intensity at times for less time. This approach is pioneered by http://www.endurancenation.us. Much less time needed, much more control of intervals, heart rate, and power zones required. Not sure of anyone other than EN who is doing the approach but it seems to work great. EN requires you to do specific workouts on specific days.
Functional Fitness approach: Trains athletes as broad-domain athletes first, then sport-special skills after. LSD / zone 2 training sacrificed as necessary. Focus on body strength. Reference for this approach is pretty much any sport other than running or triathlon, (example: Alyson Fenix, Lolo Jones, Ryan Lochte, decathlete Trey Hardee training approaches). It is currently implemented as you know by style I favor, http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

Just what I've observed. Thoughts welcome. Just focusing on your "what major differences in plans tend to be, etc" sentence.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria