Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Philly Tri- Who's doing the Olympic Race?
CREATED: 04/08/10 by adilks REPLIES: 86
markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 221
RE: Philly Tri- Who's doing the Olympic Race?
POSTED: 6/26/10 3:06 PM

I did the Sprint today, and wrote up some recommendations for those doing the Olympic based upon my experience. Here's the link to that post:

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=75A1BE21-DE1A-B425-EAA9BC7B3ED91F54

Hope that helps! I'll probably see a lot of you at dinner tonight.

Kevin

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 6/26/10 9:47 PM

Good luck guys, kick some butt and have fun! Cheers! A&M

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 6/27/10 8:34 PM

i was not impressed with the race at all. was it just me?
it seemed like the neophytes outnumbered the triathletes 5 to 1. i felt like i was passing people every few seconds. and the descents were not safe with all those folks who werent used to their bikes. and what's up with running on the uneven grass and roots behind the transition?
sorry to complain, but i thought it was a poorly done race, even forgiving the fact that there was no swim (not their fault)

ellove524    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 53
POSTED: 6/27/10 8:39 PM

Nice job out there today, despite the race changes and the heat. So I put my mom to work this morning and had her take pictures of anyone wearing a DC Tri Jersey. Here is a link to the pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/108876218541082916996/PhillyDuathlonPhotos?feat=directlink

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 6/27/10 9:06 PM

thanks for the photos!

mancala's ravatar mancala    JOINED: 4/22/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 6/27/10 9:10 PM

I agree with the comment about the race, I have done a lot smaller and cheaper races that were better ran. I understand there are some challenges due to the changes of the race, but that didn't account for the transition area and the double grass run. On another I couldn't believe the poor bike etiquette out there and I'm not just talking about the new people too many people were passing on the right and never clearing the left. It was not only annoying, but pretty dangerous especially with some fast down hill sections. I hope everyone made it home safely from the race,

Erin thanks for the great pictures.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 6/27/10 9:24 PM

A tri turned du with high temps, humidity, and no cloud cover certainly set the stage for a challenging race. Congrats to all the awesome athletes who competed under extremely difficult circumstances this morning! DC Tri was well represented and you should all be proud of your effort out there today.

As for the race, it was a tough situation. I think the swim would've been a fun course but the tragedy from the day before is something that the RD couldn't plan for.

***UPDATE: they recovered the body though I don't have many details. Apparently it was a 40 year old male from PA whose wife & son were waiting at the swim exit so, despite the rumors, they were fairly certain he had drowned and the call to keep everyone out of the water today was a good one.

I found the bike course to be challenging and fun. There were many out there who didn't know what they were doing which made the dangerous sections (steep descents & sharp turns) even more perilous. Most of the TNT races are like that (not to knock them) and other local races (like Nations) are no different. As the popularity of our sport continues to grow, the number of newbies on the course will continue to grow along with it. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.

Agreed that the run course sucked. Though the transition area itself was well structured, the bike in/out was terribly planned- narrow entry / exit points set the stage for several crashes. The run in / out was awful- the 'cross country root challenge' along the backside was no picnic. The distance from the parking lot to transition was also a mess. I'm not sure what they could do differently given the lay of the land but these are absolutely areas of improvement for the RD to address.

Probably not a race I'd do again. I think the mid-Atlantic club championships are down in Richmond next year anyway.

jron76    JOINED: 3/2/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 6/27/10 10:08 PM

the fact that there was no swim is understandable due to the unfortunate circumstances. But what really got to me is that half way through the second run the race was stopped due to heat. now im a clydsdale whose weakest aspect is the run and because we started so late (the last wave) and my slow running i was prevented from finishing the course after many weeks of training for this triathlon. i found it disappointing and frustrating. I am not sure what was the the decision making process for stopping the race but i really think it was wrong.

Jonathan

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 424
POSTED: 6/28/10 7:59 AM

Does any one know the final club results? I didn't see the Club results posted online or at the race site and had left early.

-Brady

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 221
POSTED: 6/28/10 8:56 AM

Yeah, we took second place after the Philly Tri Club. It became obvious that that would happen during the awards ceremony, because they had quite a few people medal whereas none of our members did.

Kevin

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 6/28/10 12:16 PM

Overall I thought the race was well run and I really enjoyed the bike course. I didn't expect it to be so technical but thought it was fun, other than the people not staying to the right. I was really surprised that I didn't see any accidents.
The only big complaint that they should have had ice (lots of ice) on the run course. I think it would have prevented so many people from getting overheated if we were able to cool our core temperture.
I don't think they would have shut down the run course if someone didn't die the day before.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 6/28/10 1:56 PM

Will something official with the club team points and our places among the club competition be posted/available? Want to see we lost with my own eyes.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 424
POSTED: 6/29/10 9:02 AM

Sean -
I emailed timing and they've now posted the results at http://results.active.com/uploads/pdf/95656.pdf

I'm not sure how they did the calculations, but they sure don't seem in accordance with the last year (https://www.lin-mark.us/results_files/club09.txt - yes I know they slightly changed it), because I was under the impression that non-club Age Groupers were supposed to be excluded from the calculations and that it is based on club members only (i.e. If you were 10th in you AG you still may have been 2nd among club members and got 5 points for the club).

Normally I wouldn't care, but it looks like it would mean an extra $500 for the club. Maybe somebody knows something that I don't?

POSTED: 6/29/10 9:13 AM

Brady,

I just noticed the same thing right before your post. This seems wrong to me based on what they did last year for Northeast. Anyone know if the scoring for the club championships changed, so that you would have to place overall to score points, rather than having all unaffiliated age groupers removed and rescoring? We may actually beat Philly if its done the way from last year.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 6/29/10 10:03 AM

Sean - this is all the info I could find about the scoring changes:
At the 2010 championship, USA Triathlon Mid-Atlantic Regional Council (USAT-MA) will introduce a new scoring system in which clubs will participate in predetermined Divisions based on club size with individuals still scored based on Age Group placement. The new scoring system is similar to the USAT National system and will ensure fair competition for big and small clubs alike.

I call shenanigans on the whole thing, but maybe it's just my sour grapes. At least in 2011, the home team won't have the advantage of the race registration closing just shortly after the regional championship race being announced. Let's go to Richmond in full force and reclaim our title! Philly Tri Club might be able to claim "duathlon" club champs, but DC Tri Club is the #1 triathlon club in my books.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1292
POSTED: 6/29/10 10:18 AM

with all due respect to Philly ... two of our Kona qualifiers and and a bunch more studs were occupied in Idaho this past weekend + a tri turned dual + fecal contamination in the river the day before ? Consipiracy? ... yeah and the CIA doesn't have a chip planted in my head either.

Tuan

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 6/29/10 10:21 AM

Doesn't seem to make sense. At the very least, we should ask for official clarification of the rules and scoring system.

I knew they broke out the clubs into 'divisions' based on size to level the playing field... that was the change for 2010.

I don't think they calculated the points correctly though. It says "... with individuals STILL scored based on age group placement" which implies the method for scoring individuals within the clubs didn't change year over year.

The way they scored it this year, you didn't count unless you straight-up hit the podium?!?!?!

POSTED: 6/29/10 10:48 AM

Any chance a club representative can reach out to them to get clarification on this?

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/29/10 10:48 AM

Love that you guys are a little upset. I am too. Look forward to hearing your thoughts, vents, improvement opportunites, etc. for our team in the future. I feel the best way to refocus in the sort term is to go after the National Championship in full force. What do you think?
Thanks to everyone who got in the short registration window, raced, flexed to a du, and braved the heat on our behalf.

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 6/29/10 10:55 AM

First of all I agree with Sandy's statement: "Philly Tri Club might be able to claim "duathlon" club champs, but DC Tri Club is the #1 triathlon club in my books!" This is good motivation for everyone to come out in full force for the Club National Championship in October in Myrtle Beach and next year's Mid-Atlantic Championship in Richmond. We need to re-claim our title!

If you look at the top of our results page, you can see that they did give us 15 points for general participation and 4 points for the distance we traveled from DC. We will get official clarification on the system they used for the age group points and post the response here.

Congratulation to everyone who raced!

Julie

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria